Health Policy Analyst
Altarum’s Healthcare Value Hub (Hub) is seeking a health policy analyst position to support advocacy efforts through research on health policy issues; summarizing evidence through written materials and infographics; liaising with state advocates; and planning events to facilitate discussion on consumer-centric health policy issues. This position provides an exciting opportunity to work with a respected group of state-based consumer advocates dedicated to advancing the policies and practices needed to achieve equitable, affordable, and patient-centered health systems, and making policymaking more responsive to communities’ needs.
- Research and summarize evidence on health policy topics, draft issue briefs and policy memos, and serve as project manager for short- and long-term research projects.
- Monitor state news related to healthcare value, with a particular focus on affordability and equity, as well as news stories highlighting consumers’ experiences.
- Help inform the Hub’s strategy as health policy and consumer issues evolve.
- Manage relationships with and help maintain the Hub’s network of consumer advocates, researchers, legislators, regulators, media, and others.
- Help plan and participate in meetings with consumers, state officials, activists, media partners or other parties.
- Organize and moderate webinars on healthcare value-related topics including, but not limited to, affordability, equity, and patient-centered health system transformation.
- Assist in planning necessary meetings with consumers, state officials, activists, media partners or other internal parties; sets agenda in consultation with rest of team.
- Collect, maintain, and update data for Hub products and state healthcare value profiles.
- Perform other administrative and research duties as needed. Administrative tasks may include help preparing documents for distribution, staffing welcome tables, assisting in the coordination of Hub events, etc.
- Graduate degree in health economics, health policy, public health, or a related field and one year of professional experience preferred. Strong bachelor with three years of work experience will be considered.
- Knowledge of health policy, as well as legislative and regulatory processes, preferred.
- Strong organizational skills, research skills, and an ability to work with databases as needed. Proficiency with Excel is a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills are essential. One method by which we increase our impact is by writing in a “voice” that is clear and accessible to advocates, consumers, and policymakers who may not be familiar with the relevant policy issues.
- A passion for community-responsive policymaking and willingness to fight for community members’ voices to be heard in health policy decisions.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work independently.
- A quick learner, internally motivated to meet and exceed expectations, an active problem solver, and works well with others, both in and outside the organization.
- At this time we will only accept candidates who are presently eligible to work in the United States and will not require sponsorship
Altarum Institute (Altarum) is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan. We improve the health of at-risk and disenfranchised populations by building better systems of care and empowering all people to make well informed health decisions. Public sector clients include the U.S. Department of Defense, Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Agriculture, Department of Veterans Affairs, and various state agencies nationwide. Altarum also serves clients in the philanthropic and private sectors. Areas of expertise include military health, women’s health, behavioral health and substance use disorders, health disparities and equity, continuing medical education and quality improvement, eldercare, public health interoperability, and disease surveillance.
In addition to the meaningful and challenging work, Altarum offers an outstanding benefits program that includes paid time off, tuition reimbursement, 401k (5% employer contribution), a flexible work environment, and much more. We invite you to explore exciting and rewarding career opportunities with us.
Altarum provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-24