Health Policy Manager, Reimbursement and Advocacy
The Health Policy Manager reports to the Vice President, Reimbursement and Professional Advocacy and assists in implementing AAPA’s strategic advocacy efforts regarding third party payment, coverage and reimbursement issues for the medical and surgical services delivered by PAs (physician assistants). The position provides support and assistance to individual PAs, PA constituent organizations, physicians, hospitals, practice administrators and other stakeholders in dealing with reimbursement and coverage regulations and policies impacting PA practice.
In addition, the Health Policy Manager will support the development and execution of the Academy’s efforts to appropriately position PAs as essential health professionals in the transition to a value-based healthcare system at both the state and federal levels. The overarching goal of these efforts is to assure optimal PA practice in all aspects of healthcare delivery with an emphasis on fully integrating PAs into innovative and emerging models of care.
- Identify, monitor and respond to statutes, regulations and policies pertaining to public (Medicare, Medicaid) and commercial insurance companies and third-party payers impacting PA practice
- Research and analyze relevant reimbursement regulations and policies and develop advocacy recommendations based on findings
- Contact public and commercial insurance companies, healthcare systems and organizations to obtain relevant coverage information necessary to identify and resolve PA reimbursement concerns
- Respond to internal and external inquiries regarding reimbursement and related regulatory issues
- Draft and edit AAPA publications including the Essential Guide to PA Reimbursement, web site content and other materials related to reimbursement, value-based care models and healthcare reform activities
- Perform other duties as assigned
About the Advocacy Team
AAPA’s advocacy and government relations department works to advance the priorities of the organization and promote policies that improve the ability of PAs to practice at the top of their education and experience. The department is divided into three teams; State Advocacy and Outreach, Federal Advocacy, and Reimbursement and Advocacy. Together, these teams manage strategic outreach on behalf of the organization and conduct work that is vital to the profession.
- The Federal team advocates and educates policymakers, agencies, and elected officials at the Federal level, as well as managing AAPA’s PAC and grassroots efforts.
- The State Advocacy and Outreach (SOA) team monitors and works to improve laws and regulations at the state level, partnering with and providing resources to state and special interest constituent groups.
- The Reimbursement team tracks statutory and regulatory reimbursement issues, liaises with major health insurance companies and state and federal regulatory agencies to ensure accurate coverage and payment for medical and surgical services delivered by PAs, and educates PAs, physicians and employers regarding reimbursement policies and compliance matters.
All teams within the department support the political goals of AAPA, advocate on behalf of the PA profession, work to influence legislation and regulatory language by educating policymakers, and develop and provide informational resources for stakeholders and members. Collectively, the department has nineteen staff members, with a wide scope of expertise but a shared dedication to excellence. The team has a lively culture that values teamwork, attention to detail, continued professional growth, and appropriately irreverent humor.
*Due to considerations regarding COVID-19, AAPA has been operating remotely since March 2020 and plans to continue to have staff telework through August 31, 2021. While return to office plans have not been finalized, staff should be prepared to return on-site in Alexandria, VA effective 9/1/2021.
Bachelor’s degree in policy or related field required, graduate degree preferred
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Detailed oriented with excellent organizational skills
Ability to handle a high volume of telephone and email inquiries, and research requests while delivering superior customer service
Experience in health policy preferred, but not required
The American Academy of PAs is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability and any other classification protected by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-08