Healthcare Policy and Strategy Director
Johnson & Johnson Health Care Systems Inc. of the Johnson & Johnson family of companies, is currently recruiting for a Healthcare Policy & Strategy Director – Vaccines to be located in Titusville, NJ.
Johnson & Johnson Health Care Systems Inc. (JJHCS) provides contracting, supply chain, business services, and strategic solutions to customers and commercial intermediaries of U.S.-based Johnson & Johnson companies, including hospital systems, health plans, distributors, wholesalers, purchasing organizations, government payer programs, and government healthcare institutions in the U.S. JJHCS also engages with customers to provide streamlined supply chain services for our products that seamlessly integrate with customer operations, address shared evolving market challenges to value-based care, and develop innovative solutions that improve patient care and access.
Johnson & Johnson Health Care Systems Inc. provides account management and customer support services to key health care customers, including Integrated Hospital Systems (IDNs)/health systems, national and regional Group Purchasing Organizations (GPOs), leading Health Plans, Pharmacy Benefit Managers (PBMs), Specialized Pharmacy Providers (SPPs) and government health care institutions (Veteran’s Administration and Department of Defense). The company also provides contract management, logistics and supply chain functions for the major Johnson& Johnson franchises.
We provide medicines for an array of health concerns in several therapeutic areas. Our goal is to help people live healthy lives. We have produced and marketed many first-in-class prescription medications and serve the broad needs of the healthcare market – from patients to practitioners, from clinics to hospitals. For more about the Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson visit: www.janssen.com/us.
The Health Policy & Strategy Director is a leader in the Strategic Customer Group responsible for developing and implementing strategic business initiatives in response to the changing healthcare environment to ensure market access for Janssen Vaccines. The director will support Janssen with broad policy expertise and lead cross-functional efforts to develop/implement strategies and tactics to shape policies that maintain and improve access for all stakeholders. This role is highly consultative and requires partnering and interfacing with both internal partners and external stakeholders. The successful candidate will function as a subject matter expert on public health, federal and state health policy issues and trends, project manager, organizational influencer-leader, and effective communicator with internal and external stakeholders. The candidate should be able to demonstrate the ability to anticipate and act proactively, and effectively in reactive, uncertain situations. The position may not have direct head count responsibility but does require the ability to manage with close direction consultants, vendors and cross-functional teams while being able to work productively without authority.
|The position of Health Policy & Strategy Director will be responsible for several key activities. These include, but are not limited to:|
- Leading/coordinating SCGs participation in development of NA Pharma Health Policy Positions with J&J Government Affairs and Policy on policy/legislative and regulatory issues especially in the areas of in the areas of US vaccine health policy impacting access and coverage,
- communicating the ever-changing current policy environment to SCG and NA Pharma leadership and management
- providing input to GA&P comments for Federal and State rule making
partnering with legal and HCC department on key policy issues to ensure consistency and accuracy of information.
- Lead and Partner in Strategic Planning and Development Initiatives.
This includes collaboration with – the SCG National Health Advocacy & Policy Director (NPAD), NA Pharm, Global marketing, Regulatory and Finance leaders, and other teams as appropriate (e.g., new product development teams, finance, sales learning and development, CAC review teams) to:
- ensure alignment on policy changes and trends, annual business planning, and providing insights into strategic planning around issues that may impact the forecast
- serve as the subject matter expert in policy for internal partners and assist in the creation of needed materials that relate to policy for internal work streams.
- effectively communicate key policy information to both internal NA Pharm partners and key external stakeholders in partnership with the NPAD while engaging provider and patient advocacy partners.
- provide support to NA Pharma franchises on access issues related to federal and state policy issues and trends. Identify opportunities for partnering to support and ensure current and future access to vaccines. patients’ current and future access to care
- Participate on product launch teams, leading the development of policy-related strategy for new products with the NPAD and other internal partners
- support the “branding” of the HPA organization within NA Pharma as the central point of contact on health policy expertise and strategy.
represent SCG/Janssen in meetings with public stakeholders (e.g., meetings with Advocacy Partners, HHS/CMS staff, CMS HCPCS coding meetings, meetings with US Public health stakeholders, CMS and/or state Medicaid staff to discuss coverage, coding and payment policy, customer one-on-one meetings, presentations at conferences, etc.) in coordination with appropriate J&J partners especially GA&P and National Policy & Advocacy Directors.
- Lead the development of internal and external facing health policy materials and tools to support the Health Policy and Advocacy field team, Physician and Patient Society programming, SCG and Janssen Field Teams and relevant policy training and materials for internal/external stakeholders.
- Participating in required administrative and organization activities (HCC and training, SCG training, company and meetings other required developmental activities, etc.). The Director may also be asked to participate actively in meeting/functions as a content expert and advisor.
Education: B.A./B.S. required. Masters in related field MPH, MPA, or MPP desired.
Experience: A minimum of 8 years of experience in areas such as: health or public health policy, payer marketing or payer account management, government pricing, reimbursement and new product planning, and relevant marketing and sales experience is required.
PREFERRED qualifications include that the candidate have knowledge in the following areas:
- Previous vaccine experience is preferred with a strong background/understanding of vaccine, vaccination and public health policies
- Candidate must have a thorough understanding of federal and state healthcare policy issues, including legislative, regulatory, and program management. Must understand how federal health care policies are established, implemented and enforced.
- demonstrate a core understanding of key legislative and regulatory processes related to Pharma and Janssen’s business key issues
- Understand how public health policies impact sites of service (ie pharmacy, inpatient, outpatient, physician office, LTC, state/local health department-managed sites)
- Demonstrate both analytical and problem-solving skills related to policy and market access issues; and
demonstrate the ability to manage multiple complex projects through matrix-organization processes.
- Understand the complexities associated with the changing health care environment (i.e. ACA, OPPS, ACOs, PCMHs, Part D, Quality initiatives, Fee-for-Service vs. Managed Medicare/Medicaid).
- The successful candidate will be able to analyze policy related content with and without the advice of other policy experts. Should be able to review with the needs of applicable Janssen products and J&J in mind.
- reading and reviewing policy related documents that may include Federal or state regulatory guidance or other policy documents.
- Practical knowledge of Biopharm marketing that includes FDA regulatory environment, public payor coverage and reimbursement issues including payment reforms, and the healthcare industry.
- Good to Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and be customer/market oriented.
- Travel required (25%) including required meetings and training
- Internal position in Strategic Customer Group at the Titusville, NJ campus
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-14