ICT Senior Policy Advisor (Senior Connectivity Advisor)
Social Solutions International, Inc. (Social Solutions) is a Hispanic and woman-owned business emphasizing quality research and evaluation, training and technical assistance, and institutional support services. We are a mission-driven organization that believes that superior science can improve the world. Social Solutions is dedicated to the creation of social and health solutions to improve the welfare of underserved populations worldwide.
Overview of the Position
Application deadline: Open until filled
This position is located in the U.S. Global Development Lab’s (Lab) Center for Digital Development. The Lab is an organization established to harness the power of Science, Technology, Innovation and Partnership (STIP) to significantly accelerate the achievement of foreign policy and development goals. The Lab’s two part mission is: 1) produce breakthrough development innovations; and 2) accelerate the transformation of the U.S. development enterprise. The Senior Connectivity Technical Advisor’s work will have a particular focus on developing strategies and programs that will implement the USAID Digital Strategy’s objective to build inclusive digital ecosystems and advance the National Security Strategy’s objective to expand access to an open, interoperable, reliable and secure internet in developing countries. The Senior Connectivity Technical Advisor will be expected to bring deep technical expertise to the position as well as ability to think strategically and creatively.
The incumbent Senior Connectivity Technical Advisor’s specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Providing strategic direction to the Digital Inclusion team’s connectivity policy investments.
- Building capacity within USAID countries of presence at the local level to support implementation of national broadband or ICT strategies in a sustained way that advance development objectives and U.S. policy objectives. These activities might include, for instance, facilitating training and knowledge sharing at the state or regional level and providing policy advice to ministries of ICT and telecommunications regulators, and designing assistance programs that support an open, interoperable, reliable and secure internet.
- Supporting the Lab/Digital Inclusion team in the U.S. Government interagency collaborations on internet access and network security, such as the Digital Connectivity and Cybersecurity Partnership.
- Positioning the Digital Inclusion team as a thought leader in this space by actively participating in international dialogues (e.g. the International Telecommunication Union’s GIGA project) and by regularly publishing on relevant topics.
- Fostering strategic partnerships – with the private sector, in-country public sector, civil society, etc. – that strengthens USAID’s ability to realize its connectivity and internet governance policy objectives.
- Activity managing and leading program partners to deliver high-quality, on-time work that advances the Lab/Digital Inclusion team’s priorities.
- Requires a Juris Doctorate or Master’s Degree in a relevant field, and a minimum of 11 years of private sector or government experience in telecommunications law and policy, ICT policy, technology industry, internet policy, or related fields.
- Experience in developing and implementing policies and programs that expand open, interoperable, reliable and secure affordable broadband access.
- Prior government or private sector experience related to telecommunications, information policy, or cybersecurity preferred.
- Experience in working with international telecommunication players and formulation of open, interoperable and reliable best practices
Social Solutions offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits. Please submit your resume online at www.socialsolutions.biz.
Social Solutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-04