Illinois State Government Relations Manager
Weedmaps is looking for a dynamic, bright and experienced full-time State Government Relations Manager to focus on Illinois policy initiatives. Primary duties of this position include:
- Collaborating with Regional Market Government Relations Owner and members of the Government Relations team to organize and implement comprehensive government relations strategies to improve state and local cannabis policy development and implementation outcomes in Illinois.
- Meeting with as well as cultivating and maintaining relationships with the Governor’s office, State legislators, departments and agencies and industry and non-industry trade groups, and tracking legislative and regulatory activity and engaging policy makers and department/agency leaders on Weedmaps policy priorities.
- Coordinating Illinois state government engagement strategies with Weedmaps Regional Market Government Relations Owner, headquarters Government Relations team, and contract advocacy teams.
- Working with Weedmaps Government Relations team to develop written products to support the company’s advocacy initiatives.
- Meeting measurable objectives and departmental KPI’s and establishing system for tracking execution of key initiatives and clear reporting to senior stakeholders on progress and strategy.
- Exceptional writing, data analysis and interpersonal skills are required.
- The ideal candidate will maintain relationships with key lawmakers, regulators and staff, as well as the discipline required to work autonomously, and will have Illinois state legislative and regulatory advocacy experience.
Report to and assist the Government Relations team with:
- Tracking of state and local legislation, to include intelligence on emerging legislation
- Coordinating with industry and non-coalition partners
- Drafting factsheets, policy papers and legislation
- Collaborating with Weedmaps Government Relations team on public affairs and grassroots advocacy efforts
- Organizing data to support Weedmaps state and local initiatives
- Represent Weedmaps in Illinois advocacy meetings
- Make internal and external written and oral presentations on behalf of the company
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with legislators, regulators, other policymakers and their staff; travel as needed for meetings with officials
- Organize and maintain strategic partnerships and coalitions, and develop and carry out strategies to influence trade associations and other advocacy organizations
- Consult with Regional Market Government Relations Owner and Government Relations team leaders to inform and support business planning processes and proactively raise and address issues of concern
- Executing on system for tracking execution of key market policy status, strategies, initiatives, and projects
- Clear reporting to senior stakeholders on Illinois strategy and policy progress
- BA/BS in a related field; Masters in Public Policy or related field preferred
- At least 5 years of legislative, regulatory and political advocacy experience in Illinois
- Strong research and writing skills, and proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Experience with drafting policy documents, factsheets and State legislation
- Ability to simultaneously manage and prioritize many tasks and communicate effectively
- A positive, team-oriented attitude and ability to work in a deadline-driven environment
- Experience managing staff, interns, and/or contractors and leading advocacy team efforts
- Fundamental understanding of Illinois state and local government structures and legislative processes
- A self-starting, metrics-driven mentality with the ability to work autonomously, and track and report on all projects and tasks associated with this campaign
- Fully covered Medical, Dental, and Vision for employee AND dependents
- Matching 401k, 50% match up to 6% of employee contribution
- 3 weeks PTO and 5 sick days
- Catered lunch provided 5 days a week
- All the equipment that you need to get your work done
- Fridge is always stocked with energy drinks and other snacks
- Casual work environment, read “no suit and tie required”, but you are free to dress to the nines
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the smartest and most passionate people who want to join our team and develop the services, systems, and marketplaces that will serve the marijuana industry in the decades to come. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Founded in 2008, Weedmaps is a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry. Our suite of cloud-based software and data solutions includes point of sale, logistics and ordering solutions that enable customers to scale their businesses while complying with the complex and disparate regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. In addition, our platform provides consumers with information regarding cannabis products across web and mobile platforms, including listing local retailers and brands, facilitating product discovery and allowing consumers to educate themselves on cannabis and its history, uses and legal status. Headquartered in Irvine, California, Weedmaps employs more than 400 professionals around the world, with offices including Barcelona, Berlin, Boston, Denver, New York, Phoenix and Toronto.
So what are you waiting for? Join the Weedmaps family! —
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-05-06