Information Policy Director
Because you belong at Twilio
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio is growing rapidly, and, like many technology companies, information is integral to our business. Our business relies on it and our customers demand that we properly manage and protect it. That’s why we’re looking for an Information Policy Director , reporting to our Vice President, Deputy General Counsel, Privacy and Product, to be a key contributor to building out our information governance program. You will be responsible for partnering with our Head of Data Governance as well as our Litigation, Privacy, and Information Security teams, to define and implement a risk-based framework for handling information at Twilio that incorporates and harmonizes already existing applicable frameworks and policies (e.g., SOX for financial records, Binding Corporate Rules for personal data, HIPAA for protected health information, etc).
The ideal candidate has experience developing and implementing an information risk management framework within a fast-growing publicly-traded technology company that serves a diverse customer base, which includes both heavily-regulated and lightly-regulated businesses, and individual developers and Fortune 500 companies. We are looking for a motivated self-starter who is solutions-oriented. You must be willing and able to think strategically, but also roll up your sleeves to get the job done. Familiarity with various regulatory frameworks such as GDPR, SOX, and HIPAA, as well as best practices for information handling for litigation, investigations, and protection of IP, are a must.
You also know how to:
- Partner with teams across different parts of the organization to help them define and implement information risk management procedures applicable to their functions and conform to information risk management policies.
- Define an information risk management strategy and set of policies that take into consideration the business’s current needs, future ambitions, and “wears the customer’s shoes.”
- Identify and drive areas for quick wins to help improve our information risk posture in the near term, while keeping an eye on how those wins fit into an overall long-term information governance strategy.
- Advocate for the business value of an information governance program and information risk management to internal stakeholders and constituencies.
- Leverage data governance tools and technology to help implement information governance policies.
As the Information Policy Director , you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- BE AN OWNER & DRAW THE OWL: Coordinate internal constituencies including, but not limited to, the Privacy, Corporate Compliance, Litigation, Security and IP teams, to define a framework for information risk management at Twilio.
- WRITE IT DOWN. Define and implement information risk policies, including classification and retention policies, based on legal, regulatory and business requirements.
- EMPOWER OTHERS: Work closely with the Data Governance team as the subject matter expert regarding information risk management policies and requirements at Twilio, and work with teams across the organization to implement information risk management policies.
- BE BOLD: Serve as the internal subject matter expert and advocate for information risk management best practices.
- NO SHENANIGANS: Monitor compliance with information risk management policies, and assist in audits and responding to regulatory inquiries.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Good information risk management practices are becoming increasingly important to Twilio’s customers, who are trusting us to handle their information properly when they use our APIs for their communications and customer engagement workloads. It is also increasingly important to Twilio’s business operations as we grow and scale. As Information Policy Director you will both help guard that critical customer trust and help our operations scale.
Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we’re dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We invest in weeks dedicated to tackling hard problems and creating your own ideas. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio. Come join us.
This position will be located in our beautiful office at 101 Spear Street in the Rincon Center in San Francisco. You will enjoy our incredible perks: catered meals, snacks and drinks, ergonomic desks, game room, fitness center, massages, monthly All Hands and more.
You will also be part of a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; that strives to balance work and home life; that understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture where everyone is able to do and be the best version of themselves. We seek people who naturally demonstrate our values, who are challenged by problems, empower others to thrive, and can draw the owl and not be beholden to one playbook.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-10