Interim Program Officer, US Government Relations
This is an interim backfill role to cover for an employee who will be out on parental leave. The duration of the assignment is targeted for 8-9 months starting in May. However, the start and end dates may change
.Interim Program Officer, US Government Relations
At the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation we believe that by creating an environment for our employees to personally and professionally thrive, we will have maximum impact toward our missions to achieve our vision.
To learn more about our vision and missions, please visit our website at www.gatesfoundation.org.
To learn more about career opportunities at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, please visit our Careers site at www.gatesfoundation.org/careers.
The North America Team develops and executes policy, advocacy, communications and government relations strategies to build political support and advance domestic and global programmatic priorities that are funded by, or executed within, the United States, Canada, and the United Nations. Management of cross-cutting assets, tools and engagements that are utilized across all teams and sub-teams, using these assets to craft strategies across teams.
Responsible for strategic engagement of federal policymakers around the foundation’s policy and advocacy priorities. Manage one or more portfolio of grants and contracts in support of foundation US government relations’ goals.
- Engage federal policymakers regarding the foundation’s U.S. government relations-focused policy and advocacy priorities.
- Plan, manage, and execute a wide range of activities in support of a complex portfolio of grants or performance-based contracts. Review letters of inquiry and grant proposals and provide clear, concise and insightful written analyses and recommendations for funding.
- Consult with grantees and other partners to improve impact of projects and ensure grants are meeting strategy goals. This may include: site visits, providing operational guidance and convening meetings of key partners.
- Prepare and write briefs; provide written analysis of key topics for foundation management.
- Manage internal processes and portfolio progress while ensuring appropriate documentation, grant budgeting and reporting. Improve operational efficiency and effectiveness.
Leadership and Culture
We believe that energized people, working well together, fueled by great leadership in an inclusive environment in which they thrive, will do phenomenal things.
Core Knowledge and Skills
- Strong knowledge within a particular specialized field.
- Shown ability to influence others in a constructive manner and to build and sustain collaborative relationships.
- Experience as technical resource to teams and leadership on impact, cost effectiveness and decision analyses.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, able to effectively synthesize information to reach diverse audiences and build consensus.
- Knowledge methods of impact evaluation, operational research, and modeling.
- Strong quantitative analytic skills.
Willingness to travel up to 10%.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s or other advanced degree with 5+ years of experience, or equivalent experience
Reports to: Deputy Director, Federal Government Relations
The employee transfer policy applies to internal backfill positions. An employee may apply for an open position after at least 12 months in their current position. If you meet this requirement and wish to pursue a backfill opportunity, you are required to have a conversation with your manager to confirm their support before you apply. In rare cases, the requirement of a minimum of 12 months in a position may be waived if a transfer is critical to the foundation’s goals and is approved by the current manager and their HR Consultant (HR Business Partner or Generalist).
All backfill positions are posted as LTE roles. With current manager support, if selected for the role, FTEs will retain their FTE status during the backfill assignment. Managers will have the option of backfilling for the individual moving to the interim position for a similar duration via the same hiring channels and options as this position. However, current managers may be unwilling or unable to hold headcount for the duration of an interim assignment and may deny the employee’s request. In such cases, the employee may apply for the open LTE position, but if selected, would effectively be resigning as an FTE and would be hired as an LTE for the duration of the interim assignment. As an LTE, employment with the foundation is expected to end at the end of the assignment, and the employee would not be eligible for severance.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is dedicated to the belief that all lives have equal value. We’re committed to creating a workplace where employees thrive both personally and professionally. We also believe our employees should reflect the rich diversity of the global populations we aim to serve—in race, gender, age, cultures and beliefs—and we support this diversity through all of our employment practices.
All applicants and employees who are drawn to serve the mission of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will enjoy equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to:
* Sexual Orientation
* Gender Identity
* Gender Expression
* National Origin
* Genetic Information
* Veteran Status
* Marital Status
* Prior Protected Activity
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-04-22