Internal Communications and Archives Lead
At UL, we know why we come to work.
At Underwriters Laboratories, we know why we come to work.
We are endlessly curious and wake up every day with a common purpose: to make the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place. Underwriters Laboratories is a nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing the UL public safety mission through the discovery and application of scientific knowledge. We conduct rigorous independent research and analyze safety data, convene experts worldwide to address risks, share knowledge through safety education and public outreach initiatives, and develop independent standards to guide safe commercialization of evolving technologies. Our work makes a meaningful contribution to society, and we are proud that our culture is centered on integrity, collaboration, inclusion and excellence. To learn more, visit ul.org.
What you’ll learn & achieve:
The Underwriters Laboratories Inc. Internal Communications and Archives Lead is responsible for the development, management and implementation of an internal communications strategy that directly impacts Underwriters Laboratories, promotes awareness of focus area strategies, and builds an integrated culture throughout the organization.
The primary focus of the position centers on developing, executing, and supporting organization-wide communications programs while managing and supporting the research into the past and recent history of the company. The Internal Communications and Archives Lead also oversees the collection and preservation of historical records across the UL family of companies through a sophisticated archival program. An individual in this role will be required to possess an understanding and awareness of national trends and standards in archival description.
The Internal Communications and Archives Lead translates business strategies into key messages, develops appropriate internal communications initiatives and platforms in support of those strategies, and executes and drives programs that support alignment across the organization.
What makes you a great fit:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, History or related field
- Alternately, MLIS, MLS or MA in history or related field, with graduate training in Archives Management; experience; understanding and awareness of national trends and standards in archival description; experience using archives cataloging software in general
- 10+ years of experience with a strong emphasis in strategic employee communication, internal company journalism or comparable work
- 3-5 years professional archives experience; understanding and awareness of national trends and standards in archival description; experience using archives cataloging software in general
- Previous managerial experience focused on establishing and maintaining high-performance teams
- Proven ability to coordinate fast-paced, high level leadership teams centered on complex issues
- Virtual reporting/managing experiences a plus
- Proven ability to influence and succeed in complex, multi-layered work environment
- Experience developing, managing and implementing internal and executive communications programs that directly impact employees and build an integrated culture
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office software
- Knowledge of Cuadra Star Knowledge Center for Archives (SKCA) helpful
- Professional experience with agency management and other suppliers
- Knowledge of video production and ability to navigate new media/social media
What you’ll experience working at UL:
- Mission: For Underwriters Laboratories, corporate and social responsibility isn’t new. Making the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place has been our business model for the last 125+ years and is deeply engrained in everything we do.
- People: Ask any Underwriters Laboratories employee what they love most about working here, and you’ll almost always hear, “the people.” Going beyond what is possible is the standard at Underwriters Laboratories. We’re able to deliver the best because we employ the best.
- Interesting work: Every day is different for us here as we eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customers’ create. We’re inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how people live, work and play. And as a global company, in many roles, you will get international experience working with colleagues around the world.
- Grow & achieve: We learn, work and grow together with targeted development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very own UL University that offers extensive training programs for employees at all stages, including a technical training track for applicable roles.
Job posted: 2020-10-01