Internal Communications Manager
Milliman is a diverse, distributed global organization with professionals operating in every major financial market. The firm has traditionally had a low-key approach to internal communications, relying on in-person events, email, and more recently an intranet. This new position will allow the right candidate to implement a fresh, internal communications program that appeals to today’s distributed and digital workplace and fits Milliman’s unique corporate culture. In addition to excellent communication and storytelling skills, the right person will have the business acumen to learn a complex B2B business. The ideal candidate is as comfortable in the Board room as they are getting their hands dirty in the newsroom.
This new role will develop, lead, and implement internal communications strategies to support the company’s purpose, direction, culture, and change management. This role will report to the Director of Media and Communications, act as a strategic advisor to the Chief Operating Officer and work closely and collaboratively with the Global Corporate Services (GCS) leadership team and key stakeholders around the firm to develop and execute strategic communication, in addition to leading company-wide engagement and change management initiatives. In GCS’s role to support the priorities across the firm, this leader will also be responsible, through collaboration with other GCS leaders, to ensure that all GCS-level priorities, day-to-day activities and their execution are aligned and well understood within the team. In this regard, a primary focus for this role is to design, develop, and execute an overarching internal communication strategy, roadmap, and timeline to support GCS in communicating across the team and with its stakeholder groups. These strategies are expected to lead to a shared understanding of Milliman’s and GCS’s direction and leadership’s and employees’ roles in company success.
You will act as an advising member of the GCS leadership team, supporting the building and nurturing of a productive, partnering, and trusting relationships with and within the GCS team through thoughtful, strategic communications that are attuned to the sentiment of different stakeholders. Create and enable strong communication channels among and across all stakeholder groups, across and within GCS, as well as between GCS and the practices, disciplines, committees and board, to align performance and behaviors around communication strategies that drive GCS team member and company success globally.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
· Develop and execute internal communication strategy for GCS and serve as internal communications expert. Partner with functional leaders on their relevant communication needs that have broad company or GCS impact while aligning to overall enterprise strategy.
· Develop global internal communication plans, programs, and master timeline for specific initiatives identified by GCS leadership and other key business initiatives in alignment with enterprise strategy.
· Create and implement change management strategies and plans that maximize employee adoption and usage and minimize resistance.
· Influence in a collaborative manner to create and implement change management strategies and plans in complex business contexts.
· Coach key stakeholders on change leadership, enable others to drive change activities, help project teams integrate change management activities in their plans, and create internal communications that aid in driving awareness and adoption of change that connects and engages colleagues.
· Support GCS in being an employer of choice by, among other things, providing a high degree of transparency to, and engagement with, our team members.
· Establish framework to optimize GCS senior leadership voice and advance reputation of the functions. Work with the GCS leadership team members to support their executive presence.
· Provide counsel on communicating with diverse employee audiences and collaborate with centralized knowledge management and our Meetings Team to ensure communication vehicles are well positioned, appropriate and available.
· Write and develop content daily.
· Work with leadership to set and implement an overarching enterprise communications strategy, including all employee communications, collaborating across the functions to ensure an integrated and aligned approach. Set associated framework in order to support the strategy.
· Support COO and the GCS Leadership Team for all communication-related needs.
· Coordinate between GCS and with Office and Practice Administrators (OPAs) and develop/execute plan to make this a more effective multi- directional communication channel.
· Partner with GCS leaders to evaluate employee engagement needs, assist in identifying and deploying programs to build on GCS culture.
· Serve as lead internal communicator for major transactions, organizational change initiatives, and other GCS initiatives.
· Ensure alignment of internal communication strategies across disciplines and geographies, as well as with the overall articulated business goals of the firm.
· Provide senior-level support for crisis management issues as part of triage team as needed
· Know and understand the dynamics of the business, organizational structure, alignments, as well as the outside market, competitive landscape, and other economic pressures and the impact they have on the organization.
· Partner with practices, disciplines, and meetings team to ensure relevant corporate functions and forums are aligned and supportive of the articulated strategy.
· Contribute to company-wide communication channels including intranet, forums, committee meetings, and other internal or GCS initiatives.
· Develop and deploy relevant metrics and reporting as defined by the strategy.
· Support employer branding efforts.
· Seven to ten years of experience in a corporate communications function.
· Bachelor’s degree in Communications, public relations, or related field required
· Highly proficient in all communication skills, including developing and executing a business-level communication strategy with multiple layers and forums for communication.
· Excellent planning skills, with a proven ability to manage, prioritize, and allocate resources and to execute programs with speed, accuracy, and efficiency.
· Exceptional and persuasive written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
· Experience with speechwriting and managing the executive voice.
· Exceptional writing and editing skills with proven expertise in using different styles to reflect the nature of the stakeholder, audience, and message.
· Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution.
· Emotionally intelligent leader with strong business acumen and ability to show up as a business leader and communications expert.
· Strong executive presence and confidence to challenge the status quo with senior leaders.
· Proven track record of advising, partnering, influencing, gaining trust, and building relationships with senior leaders and executives on strategic issues.
· Ability to facilitate and distill multiple perspectives from senior executives into communications that will resonate with broad audiences.
· Ability to make decisions in a rapidly changing environment and perform in high-pressure situations with multiple stakeholders, including senior executives under tight timeframes.
· Ability to build rapport, work effectively, and collaborate within a multi-disciplinary team, and with all levels within the organization.
· Flexibility to work outside of standard hours as needed.
· Proven success working in a matrix environment, influencing without direct authority, and leading large, complex projects and change initiatives.
· Self-reliant, proactive, assertive, and results oriented.
· An uncompromising commitment to quality and detail.
· Ability to be discreet and maintain confidentiality; handle sensitive or proprietary company information in a confidential manner.
· Optimistic, energetic, flexible, collaborative, easy to work with.
· Analytical – able to gather, analyze, package, and make thoughtful recommendations based on insights from data.
· Ability to identify, recommend, and manage outside resources to ensure success of projects.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-29