Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
International Associate/Associate Fellow/Senior Policy Analyst
About the Center for Climate and Energy Solutions (C2ES): Our mission is to secure a safe and stable climate by accelerating the transition to a thriving, just, and resilient low-carbon economy. We are widely recognized as an influential voice on climate issues, a trusted convener, and a credible source of expertise and analysis. We work closely with international climate negotiators; federal, state, and local policymakers; executives of Fortune 500 businesses; and a wide range of other stakeholders to advance strong policy and action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, promote clean energy, and strengthen resilience to climate impacts. C2ES is an independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization.
Our organizational values: We are ambitious and practical, advancing effective solutions that push the boundaries of the achievable. We are open-minded and inclusive, seeking out and considering a wide range of voices, views, and approaches. We are people-focused, dedicated to improving human well-being and recognizing that respect and empathy are central to success. We are one team, working collaboratively, communicating openly, making ourselves accessible to each other, and treating one another with kindness and respect.
Job Summary: The successful candidate will support the work of the international team. The Associate Fellow will report to the Vice President of International Strategies and will work closely with the Associate Director of International Strategies.
Responsibilities and duties include:
- Track, monitor and report on international climate policy developments, with a 50% focus on international climate finance and contribute to other research and analytical support as needed
- Contribute to the publication of policy briefs, blogs, web content and other written materials
- Support the international team’s engagement in the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) negotiations and related meetings, including informal meetings with international climate negotiators, particularly through planning, coordinating, organizing, and managing logistics for workshops, briefings, and other events
- DEI expectations – All staff are expected to participate in monthly DEI All staff meetings. During these meetings staff are able to interact and learn about different topics provided by the JEDI council.
- Demonstrate commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- Complete company trainings assigned during on boarding and on a yearly basis. Some specialize training will be required as well for Management positions.
Qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in international environmental policy, international relations, energy/resources or related field, or equivalent experience
- At least 1-2 years of experience working in international climate policy
- Attention to detail and strong analytical and writing skills
- Familiarity with international climate policy issues and related processes, including the UNFCCC
- Self-motivated, organized, and able to work both independently and with guidance
Desired qualifications & skills:
- Interest or experience in international climate finance
- Experience working on climate at an international organization, national government levels, or civil society – in a developing country context would be an advantage
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and high emotional intelligence
- Multicultural awareness and previous experience in multicultural or diplomatic settings
- Experience in stakeholder engagement
- Approaches problem-solving with an eye toward solutions that are strategic, bold, innovative, and practical
- Willingness to learn and pitch in
- Strong quantitative skills
- Interdisciplinary understanding of climate change issues (technology, politics, economics, science)
- English fluency; other languages a plus
- Full-time, contract for 2 years. Benefits eligible. Overtime exempt.
- Reporting to: Vice President of International Strategies
Salary range: $60,000 to $75,000
To apply, please upload a cover letter, resume, and writing sample of your choice to our website. The deadline for the vacancy is May 12th but will remain opened until filled.
Travel, time, and location requirements:
- Must be willing to travel if necessary, in particular to support C2ES’s international work.
- C2ES operates a hybrid work environment from our main office in Arlington, Virginia. If applicant is hired remote, physical presence in the main office is expected at least 5 days per quarter.
- Preference will be given to applicants in the Washington, DC area. However, C2ES will also consider remote applicants for this position.
- While not a requirement, preference will be given to candidates that have the right to work in the United States
- Health Insurance. C2ES covers 80% of the health insurance premiums.
- Dental Insurance. C2ES covers 100% of the dental premiums.
- Vision Insurance: Employee covers the total cost of this plan.
- Long Term Disability and Short-Term Disability.
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA).
- Group Life insurance and Voluntary Life insurance.
- Leave Time: New employees start accumulating 3 weeks’ vacation per year.
- Sick time: up to 10 days per year.
- Personal Leave: Up to two personal leave days.
- FMLA Leave: Case by case is evaluated by the Supervisor and HR.
- Holidays: C2ES observes 12 holidays during the year. Additionally, the organization closes the last week of year.
- Hybrid and flexible environment.
We also are fully committed to promoting diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice. We believe we will only be effective in developing and advocating for climate solutions if we have a diverse range of voices and perspectives represented within C2ES, in our work, and among our partners. C2ES is committed to creating and growing a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion within our organization and among the stakeholders we collaborate with and convene. By fostering this culture, we can enhance our work and amplify our impact. We encourage individuals of all races, ethnicities, socioeconomic backgrounds, genders, sexual identities, and abilities to apply for this position. For more on C2ES’s DEIJ policy, visit: https://www.c2es.org/about/diversity-equity-inclusion-and-justice.
Job posted: 2023-05-25