International Communications Leader
Global Product Strategy (GPS) sets and delivers strategic business direction from late stage research & development through to commercialization and medical excellence for the benefit of patients and our customers.
Part of the Global Pharma Communications Team, the International Communications Leader (ICL) sits within The Centre of Excellence for Product and Portfolio. The ICL primarily helps to drive Roche Pharma product development & commercial objectives through high impact external communications strategies.
The ICL plays a crucial role on the lifecycle team and as the principal communications lead for this group providing counsel to the Lifecycle Leader and the Integrated Strategy Leader. Given the nature of this position, the ICL works closely with various cross-functional partners and stakeholders, including Group Communications, Investor Relations, Genentech Corporate Relations, GPS & PD Therapeutic Area and Franchise leaders, Affiliate communicators, etc.
Pharma Communications is actively embracing Roche’s new ways of working and unleashing greater personal impact. This is an opportunity to join a creative and dynamic team of communications professionals whose starting point begins by asking, will this work help patients? In short, is my work having an impact and an outcome that matters? These questions and subsequent responses guide all our communications within Roche Pharma.
Core Skills required:
- Ability to see beyond the immediate task and seek to understand how it fits with the wider business strategy and the Pharma Vision & Roche’s 10 year ambitions
- Proactively seeks out opportunities to maximize the impact of communications beyond simple tactics
- Immerse yourself in the Pharma organization and help join the dots for your key stakeholders
- Develop structures that easily enable your stakeholders to capitalize on all the apparatuses in the communications toolbox
- Embed yourself in the Pharma wide organization and create networks
- Ability to breakdown siloed behavior and bring different functions together
- Identify barriers to success and seek to proactively remove in order to focus on outcomes that matter to our patients and customers
- Ability to coach senior executives in everything from issues management to proactive media and investor relations training
Core responsibilities:The International Communications Leader (ICL) is an integrated member of cross functional, results-driven teams. Core responsibilities include:
- Assuming accountability for Product & Portfolio Communications deliverables assigned products and/or therapeutic areas
- Acting as an expert in international product communications best practices
- Leading the development and implementation of Global Communications Plans, including strategy, tactics and resources
- Developing and finalizing media relations materials, Q&A documents, etc.
- Ensuring clear positioning (key messages) and associated messaging
- Identifying, preparing for and managing communications activities for issues related to the assigned topic(s)
- Establishing and cultivating cross-functional relationships; working collaboratively with all partners and stakeholders
- Establishing and embedding best practices across Pharma Communications, and with regional and affiliate communications colleagues
- Manage ambiguity and approach the role with an agile mind-set, flexing your focus and prioritizing your work across Pharma Communications to the areas that will yield maximum impact for patients and customers
- Managing external PR/Communications Agency selection, contract negotiation, active management of the contract, and implementation oversight.
- As part of the wider Pharma Communications group you will be expected to seize opportunities to contribute to priority topics that sit outside of your day-to-day work
Who you are
You’re someone who wants to influence your own development. You’re looking for a company where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies.
Where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but the starting point.
- Significant (minimum 7-10 years) experience within the Pharmaceutical public relations/communications, preferably gained in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology or related industry, or PR agency experience supporting pharmaceutical or other healthcare clients
- Bachelor’s Degree in either Science, Business or Communications
- Experience in developing, driving and implementing business & scientific communications strategies, including media relations, investor relations and in issues management
- Ability to travel globally
- Fluent written and verbal English
- Digital and social media nativeTo be successful the ICL must have:
- Strong business acumen and insights driven
- Strength of conviction while also being flexible and diplomatic.
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills, including a track record of influencing without authority and driving cross-functional activities to successful conclusion.
- Strong customer-orientation and proven track record of collaborative work relationships.
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills, written, PowerPoint and verbal, including acute attention to detail.
- Strong story-telling skills, excellent editorial judgment, a passion for language and dislike for corporate speak.
- Ability to distill complex and sometimes voluminous content into clear, concise and engaging communications.
Who we are
- Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-01