International Policy Manager- Europe
Waymo is a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world’s access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 15 billion miles of simulation testing.
The Waymo Policy and Government Affairs team has a front seat in this exciting moment in the evolution of autonomous vehicles, transportation, and tech policy. Successful navigation of this policy landscape is critically important to deploying and scaling our business. Externally, our team works directly with policymakers and third-party groups at the international, national, state, and local levels to help advance transportation policy for autonomous vehicles, educate on the safety benefits of this technology, and advance consumer awareness and acceptance. Internally, our efforts support the innovative work of engineering, product, strategy, partnerships, and other teams, and we work closely with highly-skilled legal and safety experts.
In this International Policy Manager role, you will:
- Externally, manage Waymo’s policy engagement with relevant policy makers and officials across European institutions, including the European Commission, European Parliament, and the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, as well as within any identified national markets, including the UK and France, to advance key transportation policy and regulatory frameworks for autonomous vehicles. Engagement may scale to include other geographies as needed.
- Work collaboratively within a global team to develop and execute Waymo policy strategies and advocacy with key constituencies, including business, legal, safety, engineering, and communications teams, as well as with Waymo commercial partners.
- Develop talking points, policy narratives and presentation materials for use at external events and meetings and for other communication purposes.
- Monitor and synthesize relevant policy, legislative, and regulatory proposals in Europe and potentially other geographies that impact autonomous vehicles and work to develop external responsive policy positions.
- Cultivate and engage with a strong network of key European stakeholders to support Waymo’s mission, including government stakeholders, industry stakeholders, trade associations, nonprofits, academic institutions, and other key constituencies.
At a minimum we would like you to have:
- 6+ years of experience working on technology, automotive, and/or transportation policy with European Institutions, national regulators and/or governments, as well as with tech, automotive, and/or transport companies.
- Proven track record of getting regulatory changes made in Europe, successful interactions with policymakers and regulators, including ability to define, strategize, communicate, and deliver against business objectives.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, and exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- A humble, collaborative, creative, and goal-oriented approach to work and the ability to maintain and build productive internal and external relationships.
- Fluent in English and French.
- University degree in law, public policy, political science, or a related field.
It is preferred if you have:
- 8+ years of experience working on technology, automotive, and/or transportation policy with European Institutions, national regulators and/or governments, as well as with tech, automotive, and/or transport companies.
- Similar experience in other global markets;
- Deep automotive and / or tech policy and regulatory experience.
- Graduate degree or a law degree.
- Project management experience.
Job posted: 2020-10-13