Investigations and Policy Specialist
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP is a leading international law firm with more than 900 lawyers in offices throughout the United States, Europe, Asia and the Middle East. We are currently seeking an Investigations and Policy Specialist in our Litigation practice reporting directly to the Litigation Practice Coordinator and the Director of Practice Management.
The Investigations and Policy Specialist will reside in the Washington, DC office and will be responsible for providing research and paralegal support to attorneys whose practice involves congressional investigations defense work. Investigations and Policy Specialists are assigned to work primarily on specific, politically-sensitive government investigations, to carefully monitor congressional activities and media coverage, and to provide general assistance to a project team of attorneys. Investigations and Policy Specialists also provide targeted, strategic research and analysis. In addition, Investigations and Policy Specialists may be asked to provide general supervision of Project Assistants and other clerical staff.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Conduct statutory, regulatory or factual research with respect to client matters and client development opportunities. Such research might include investigation of federal or state laws and regulations, relevant markets, corporate participants and industry standards and practices.
- Keep practice attorneys apprised, in real time, of developments regarding client matters including monitoring new alerts outside of normal business hours (evenings and weekends).
- Monitor legislative & congressional committee activities, including hearings, press releases, and member statements regarding current and potential client matters. Draft written summaries of the same for attorney/client review.
- Participate in due diligence and other reviews of client records and files.
- Assist with organization of client materials and attorney work product, including use of databases, imaging systems and other computer-based technology.
- Maintain pleadings files and other case or project records; circulate materials to project team, as needed. Maintain chronological records of project activity.
- Arrange filings, mailings and service list deliveries with appropriate courts, government agencies and other parties.
- Under the supervision of an attorney, draft, edit, cite-check, conform and otherwise assist in the preparation of legal documents.
- Obtain services from outside contractors, including court reporters, research services, exhibit preparation services, filing services and printers. Process billing and disbursement paperwork in connection with those services.
- Act as liaison for the project team with support departments and other offices of the firm, anticipating and assuming responsibility for special staffing needs, such as overtime, clerical and/or notary assistance.
- Travel, as required by the Practice and/or client.
- As requested by the Director of Paralegals, local office Paralegal Coordinator or assigned attorneys, coordinate work of paralegals and/or project assistants or clerical team members.
Qualifications (Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
- BA/BS degree required
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to quickly and succinctly summarize complex concepts, are essential.
- Substantive knowledge of and familiarity with specific areas of law, legislative process, and politics
- Substantive or meaningful internship or work experience in political, legislative, or executive Branch setting is required
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Thorough knowledge of MS Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Aptitude and willingness to work with complex procedures
- Strong organizational and time management skills, including the ability to organize self and others
- Demonstrated strong attention to detail
- Ability to read, comprehend and follow instructions
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and adjust to changing priorities in a professional manner
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Entrepreneurship and innovation in devising ways to improve how the practice collects and processes information
- Willingness and ability to assume new tasks and responsibilities
- Strong service orientation, and an ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with users, peers, office and firm management, and outside business partners
- Ability to work well under pressure, facilitate solutions, and meet deadlines and milestones for projects assigned
- Commitment to professional growth and development
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP participates in E-Verify for purposes of verifying employment eligibility
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-24