Issues and Crisis Communications Manager
- IBM is seeking a motivated and experienced external relations professional to join its corporate communications team. This position will play a key role in addressing important communications priorities for one of the world’s most recognized and respected brands, with particular emphasis on managing sensitive issues across the full scope of IBM’s global operations and advancing proactive narratives to reinforce the company’s reputation.
- Play a central role in development of communications plans, messaging and materials needed to successfully address and mitigate potential issues and developments that could impact IBM’s reputation.
- Develop and deliver communications assets of the highest quality – from messaging documents, social messages and blog posts to executive talking points and fact sheets – to advance proactive and reactive storytelling that resonates across a range of stakeholders.
- Organize and maintain connections with a diverse group of communications colleagues across business units, campaigns and geographies, in addition to multiple agency partners, in an effort to maximize warning of potential reputation threats and coordinate response planning and activation.
- Develop and execute with internal and external support proactive strategies to counter or redirect persistent problematic narratives.
- Build links to and work closely with colleagues from IBM business units, along with professionals from IBM finance, legal and human resources and more to unearth and assemble detailed information needed to address potential issues. Leverage expertise of colleagues to develop, refine and finalize messaging and materials required to adequately address issues and potential reputation threats.
- Participate in updating senior leadership on issue planning, late breaking developments and need-to-know information related to reputation management activities.
- Provide support for engagement with tier one global media outlets, up to and including serving as an on-the-record company spokesperson.
- Support the preparation of IBM executives to address sensitive or controversial topics in interviews, speeches, panel discussions and other public forums. Monitor IBM’s corporate calendar to ensure that we are proactive in reaching out to provide this support as needed.
At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- 8+ years of proven experience in communications, public relations, journalism or public affairs; media relations experience is essential.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Strong track record of engaging media and influencers to successfully manage potential reputation threats.
- Proven ability to work within teams to develop successful multi-faceted communications programs that reach across teams, functions and geographies.
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience
- 10+ years of successful issues/reputation management experience
- Working knowledge of financial communications is a plus
- Knowledge of / proficiency in languages other than English a definite plus.
- Must be a self-motivated team player with an ability to develop and sustain strong professional relationships that are critical to long-term programmatic success.
- Proven ability to drive progress independently while collaborating seamlessly with various internal and external stakeholders.
About Business Unit
IBM Corporate Headquarters (CHQ) team represents a variety of functions such as marketing, finance, legal, operations, HR, and more, all working together to solve some of the world’s most complex problems, help our clients achieve success and build collaborative work environments for IBMers.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.
Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, we’re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business.
At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now it’s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
IBM offers a wide range of resources for eligible IBMers to thrive both inside and outside of work. In addition to a competitive benefits program consisting of medical and life insurance, retirement plans, and time off, eligible employees may also have access to:
·12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. Family care options are also available to support eligible employees during COVID-19.
·World-class training and educational resources on our personalized, AI-driven learning platform. IBM’s learning culture supports your restless attitude to grow your skills and build the depth and scale of knowledge needed to achieve your career goals.
·Well-being programs to support mental and physical health.
·Financial programs that empower you to plan, save, and manage your money (including expert financial counseling, 401(k), IBM stock discount, etc.).
·Select educational reimbursement opportunities.
·Diverse and inclusive employee resource groups where you can network and connect with IBMers across the globe.
·Giving and volunteer programs to benefit charitable organizations and local communities.
·Discounts on retail products, services, and experiences.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-08-17