Land & Government Affairs Manager
The Land & Government Affairs Manager is a member of the land management team tasked with to preserving and enhancing the
land assets owned or managed by Farmland Reserve, Inc. (FRI) and other affiliated companies within their assigned area. The LGA
Manager administers all types of land use requests, ensures compliance with environmental permits, interacts with government
agencies, assists with associated regulatory issues, and maintains land records in a manner that will preserve and enhance the longterm value of real property. This position is based at our Deseret Cattle & Timber (DCT) operations in Wewahitchka, FL.
• Assist in development of strategies to accomplish the objectives established by the Board of Directors and Company
• Work closely as a team member with, and advisor to, the farm and ranch production general managers and other staff at
DCT, as well as with consultants and contractors on various projects.
• Provide reports as requested and train production staff on all relevant reporting systems.
• Ensure compliance with legal obligations.
• Provide initial review, negotiate, and edits to contracts; coordinate review by corporate-appointed legal counsel.
• Manage and coordinate contract workflows.
• Ensure and train production staff on all operational compliance with related laws, regulations, permits, agreements, and
• Manage third-party leases of property, protect the land and resources, ensure land use contracts are effectively managed,
and build strong relationships with tenants and other members of the industry.
• Explore additional alternatives to generate revenues from corporate property.
• Manage and/or renew various agency permits for farm operations, including obtaining and renewing as necessary (e.g.,
CAFO and wastewater permits).
• Assist with farm water right management as assigned to maximize water availability for present and future agricultural and
• Proactively develop and cultivate strong relationships with federal and state agency representatives.
• Monitor and positively influence developments in environmental and land use regulations and planning initiatives.
• Be well versed in regional planning activities and participate as directed.
• Coordinate with other farm departments, customers and corporate-appointed legal counsel to structure leases and other
land use agreements and activities to meet overall farm objectives.
• Professionally represent the company to tenants, landowners, farm and ranch operators, and regulatory agencies.
• Assist transaction teams on property transactions, such as projects related to natural resources and acquisitions.
• Assist in preparing annual capital and operational budgets related to responsibilities.
• Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years’ experience in legal, land, and/or water asset management.
• J.D. or Master’s degree with significant experience in land use, water, and environmental regulatory and legal issues.
• Experience in contract management, negotiation and drafting, and land & natural resource legal issues.
• Demonstrated project management, leadership, and relationship management skills.
• Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft tools and records/land management systems.
• Advanced interpersonal and communication (written and verbal) skills.
• Demonstrated high moral character, honesty, and creativity.
• Valid U.S. driver’s license with ability to travel 25% to remote areas with limited infrastructure and services.
• Able to traverse rough and uneven terrain in vehicle or on foot; walk and stand for at least 5 hours per day.
Please submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org and input the job title in the subject line
Job posted: 2021-01-06