Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Lead Analyst, Regulatory Delivery and Strategy
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
The Lead Analyst is a key member of the team that develops policy and regulatory positions that support a reliable, affordable and decarbonized energy future for our customers in the Northeast US.
We are seeking an experienced policy analyst to help lead policy analysis and support the development of proposals across multiple types and levels of policymaking in New York and Massachusetts, as well as at the federal level. This position provides an exciting opportunity to help shape energy policy in our region while further developing expertise, leadership and external engagement skills.
This position may be located in Waltham, MA, Brooklyn, NY, or Albany, NY.
Develop policy and advocacy positions and materials as required to influence local/municipal, state agency (energy and environment), legislative, and utility commission policy, as well as federal agency rulemakings and legislation. This includes:
• Leading analysis of energy policy issues and evaluating impacts of policies to National Grid’s customers, operations, and financials (across electric distribution, electric transmission, and gas distribution)
• Helping develop policy strategies and plans that rapidly scale up low-carbon, efficient sources and uses of energy
• Preparation of public-facing energy policy proposals, testimony and comments on proceedings and rulemakings
• Providing project leadership and content development, including quantitative analysis, drafting/writing and editing responsibilities
• Coordinating closely with internal strategy, sustainability, and operational teams to monitor and support initiatives that support achievement of GHG emissions reductions targets (corporate targets and policy targets)
• Leading content development for presentations, conferences, and inquiries from both internal teams and external stakeholders, including media, general public, trade associations, etc.
• Undergraduate degree is required, such as in public policy, economics, environmental science, business, engineering, etc.
• Advanced degrees or certificates in policy or economics (or equivalent experience) preferred
• Knowledge and experience are required related to energy and climate policy, renewable or clean energy standards, distributed energy resources, and emerging technologies such as renewable natural gas, hydrogen, and energy storage.
• Experience leading quantitative analyses is required (intermediate Excel)
• Familiarity with utility regulatory practices and issues is preferred
• Familiarity with corporate ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) commitments and requirements is preferred, including GHG emissions targets and reporting
• Success working independently, handling multiple tasks, and determining priorities in a team environment balanced by an ability to collaborate effectively and translate smoothly across multiple disciplines or functional groups.
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.
Job posted: 2022-10-26