Lead of External Affairs, Marketing, and Communications
Established in 1970, the National Black Child Development Institute (NBCDI) is a national nonprofit organization with a mission to improve and advance the quality of life for Black children and families through education and advocacy. With our National Affiliate Network, we develop and deliver strengths-based, culturally-relevant, evidence-based, and trauma-informed curricula and programs focused on health and wellness, family engagement, and family literacy. We also support increased access to effective education by providing professional development scholarships to early childhood educators. NBCDI, our National Affiliate Network (NAN), and our members advocate for and inform education policies at the federal, state, and local levels to ensure standards, regulations, and resource allocations support equitable systems for Black children and families across the country.
The Lead of External Affairs, Marketing, and Communications (Lead) will provide leadership, strategy, and vision for NBCDI’s efforts to drive education and advocacy for Black children and families nationally. The Lead will oversee marketing and communications, advocacy and coalition-building, and strategic partnerships in service of NBCDI’s mission. The Lead brings an understanding of, and experience with, brand strategy and management, cause marketing, corporate social responsibility, public-private partnerships, and public awareness and advocacy. The Lead is a member of NBCDI’s senior leadership team and collaboratively informs the organization’s strategic plan to achieve long-term goals.
External Affairs Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic external affairs plan to advance NBCDI’s’s brand identity, broaden awareness of its programs and priorities, and increase the visibility of its programs and partners across key stakeholder audiences
- Create marketing and public relations strategies that will allow NBCDI’s leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization; work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
Public Awareness & Mobilization
- Provide vision, strategy, and execution for National Black Child Development Week, a five-day, 1000+ participant summit (live or virtual) that brings together practitioners, researchers, corporate partners, government and civic leaders, and family-serving organizations to advance NBCDI’s positive impact on individuals and communities
- Provide vision, strategy, and execution for other NBCDI original content, programming, and efforts (including Annual Conference, virtual learning series, Policy Fellowship, and other programming designed to raise awareness of, and advocacy for, NBCDI and for Black children and families); create consistency across all campaigns, including existing and to-be-designed campaigns
- Produce key organizational events, including Annual Conference, National Black Child Development Week, and virtual learning series, and support Policy Fellowship convenings
- Increase the number of NBCDI strategic partners, including leveraging partnerships with existing funders and champions, including the CROWN Coalition, Walmart, Essence and others, resulting in increased digital, social and media engagement.
- Increase brand awareness, messaging, and social media output, providing oversight to the Marketing and Communications Coordinator
- Provide outreach to, and support for, key speakers and plenary leaders
Brand Strategy and Management
- Oversee efforts to develop strategy for short- and long-term communications and marketing plans that promote NBCDI’s efforts, recognizing its unique role in the field of education and advocacy for Black children and families, and elevate the organization’s brand
- Oversee and manage site development, content, and editorial strategy to ensure they are consistent with brand, current, and responsive to audience and affiliate needs
- Identify and cultivate opportunities to position NBCDI and its President and CEO as thought leaders in education and advocacy for Black children and families via strategic partnerships, speaking engagements, media placements, etc.
- Ensure external opportunities for partnerships, positioning, and visibility are aligned with NBCDI brand identity
- Serve as the lead point of contact for potential strategic partnerships to increase investment and engagement in NBCDI’s work across the country
- Collaborate closely with NBCDI’s Programs, Resource Development, and Policy teams to ensure outreach, partnership, and outcomes alignment across departments
- Manage relationships with existing external partners and ensure that partnership implementation efforts include the appropriate cross-functional staff
- Identify and cultivate new strategic partnerships that will have a significant impact on NBCDI’s objective to promote and advocate for the expansion of support opportunities for Black children and families
- Represent NBCDI as appropriate at all levels of engagement with external stakeholders, including strategic meetings, conferences and convenings, speaking engagements, and other opportunities
- Oversee development and management of editorial and placement relationships with writers, podcasters, and other media partners
Team Development & Management
- Manage a Marketing and Communications team to support the development and execution of the external affairs strategy
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance reviews
- 12+ years of senior-level external relations, marketing, and communications experience; experience with nonprofit campaigns and some corporate experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required, graduate degree preferred
- Strong relationship builder and communicator with experience leading diverse work teams, developing and executing an organization-wide strategy for excellence in external relations, engaging external partners, and partnering with a CEO, COO, and CBO and board of directors
- Track record of creating and implementing innovative solutions to meet organizational needs
- Proven writing, editing and public speaking skills, with a track record of effectively coaching others
- Passionate about NBCDI’s mission and able to promote and communicate the philosophy, mission, and values of NBCDI to external and internal stakeholders
- Demonstrates integrity, strives for excellence in her/his work, and has experience of leading others to new levels of effectiveness and programmatic impact
- Thrives in a fast-paced and entrepreneurial nonprofit environment
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Familiarity with content management systems (e.g., WordPress), email marketing software (Salsa), and media management databases (Meltwater)
- Ability to travel occasionally
Salary and Benefits:
This is an outstanding opportunity to lead a highly effective nonprofit organization’s Marketing and Communications team and partner with the President and CEO and senior management team. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Compensation will include a generous benefits package.
NBCDI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Diversity of opinions, experiences, and backgrounds is a key asset.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-24