Lead Government Relations Associate
Role Value Proposition:
The Lead Government Relations Associate supports State Advocacy and Supervision in advancing MetLife’s legislative and regulatory interests in furtherance of business goals. In addition, one of the core contributions in this role is to assist in making sure MetLife meets its legal obligations in a variety of different areas (e.g., business compliance through legislative and regulatory tracking and reporting, state political giving activities and employee political, gift/entertaining and lobbying activities).
- Works on OpenPages, MetLife’s legislative and regulatory tracking system. Responsibilities include working closely with the lobbyists on the State Advocacy and Supervision Team as well as analyzing the reports received from outside sources (e.g., industry trade associations communications and an external reporting service—StateNet) to populate OpenPages with state legislative and regulatory activity across all 50 states. Responds to inquiries received related to matter circulated in OpenPages.
Assists state lobbyists with various legislative and regulatory matters. May be asked to engage directly with state legislators and state regulators.
- Helps manage state political action committees and handles PAC requests and assists with reporting. Reviews corporate contribution requests and works with Law to ensure no issues exist with campaign finance and/or pay-to-play laws. These activities often involve working with senior attorneys at MetLife and an outside compliance vendor (Public Affairs Support Services).
- Employee Political Activities: Assists with updates to policies and communications to employees. Responds to employee questions regarding range of activities: running for office, meeting with representatives, fundraisers, gifts and entertainment. Will evaluate activity for identification of “hot topics/areas of great interest” and develops action plans to address them.
- Performs various one-off and miscellaneous tasks as assigned.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Strong reading, writing and analytical skills.
- Able to operate with good judgment and discretion.
- Well-developed and effective communications skills.
- Active thinker with knowledge of financial services.
- Familiar with laws and regulations and able to accurately identify the possible relevance to MetLife
- College degree required; advanced degree helpful
- 10 years or more of relevant experience
- Requires the ability to triage priorities and manage them accordingly.
- Must be able to meet deadlines.
- Needs to be proactive and assertive.
- Must have an ownership mindset and exercise good judgment in escalating matters as required.
0 – 10%
State Advocacy and Supervision, Corporate Affairs
Number of Openings
At MetLife, we’re leading the global transformation of an industry we’ve long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we’re dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.”
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife’s policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
For immediate consideration, click Apply Now. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.
Job posted: 2019-08-11