Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
This Lead Government Relations Advisor will represent the Company on federal legislative and regulatory issues, serving as a liaison in advocating favorable federal legislative and regulatory positions for the Company and the industry. He/she will play a key role on a host of issues that impact the insurance and financial services industries including assisting and coordinating the development of public policy positions.
The position offers a unique opportunity to benefit from the Company’s competitive benefits, participate in legislative and regulatory activity in Washington, D.C. and function in an entrepreneurial environment. The successful candidate will report to the Company’s Head of Government Relations.
- Provide depth and expertise in support of Washington DC based legislative and regulatory affairs efforts by building and maintaining relationships on behalf of the Company with key members of Congress, congressional staff, regulators and administration.
- Educate Congress on the importance of life insurance products in providing financial security while preserving the marketability of life insurance products.
- Attend Congressional hearings, briefings and meetings and prepare summaries of legislative, regulatory and political developments of interest to the Company.
- Develop positions on, and responses to, anticipated legislative and regulatory actions, which disrupt the distribution of the Company’s products and services, operations, revenues and business models or product development and approvals. Routinely work with Company executives to formulate policy.
- Identify and implement innovative solutions to challenging legislative and political issues. Identify, support and promote insurance and financial services reforms that are favorable to the Company.
- Actively build and manage relationships with consultants and trade associations to improve service and reduce costs; while identifying areas of operational risk which can be minimized and maximizing the benefit and positive exposure for the Company.
- Provide recommendations related to developing and managing political activities consistent with emerging election trends in advance of each election cycle to best serve the organization’s business objectives.
- Establish and maintain a professional network of political, lobbying, campaign and public policy contacts to maintain the profile of the Company with federal legislators, congressional staff and trade associations. Work with the entire Government Relations team to cultivate employees and sales force to act on the Company’s behalf on critical legislative issues; Circulate periodic legislative updates, participate in panel discussions, and conduct presentations to keep Government Relations clients and company sales force informed and engaged in the legislative process.
- Manage internal task forces as appropriate to analyze and respond to legislative proposals based on agreed to company principles and business objectives. Provide guidance to business lines on industry issues, relationship building and legislative and regulatory developments. Partner with business lines, attorneys and consultants to develop and implement successful political strategy.
- Represent the Company at all times in a professional manner and in accordance with all corporate policies and all applicable ethics, lobbying, gift and campaign finance rules, laws and regulations.
- 8 – 10 years of relevant experience in political, public policy, campaign, or lobbying areas or combination with a focus on insurance, banking, financial services industry or related field.
- Law degree, M.B.A. or relevant graduate degree preferred.
- Must have a thorough understanding of the Congressional legislative and regulatory processes.
- Must be able to recommend positions on issues and suggest changes in strategies as legislative and regulatory processes unfold – Acute political and public perception sensitivity.
- Demonstrate strong decision-making skills with a solid foundation of analytical and strategic thinking.
- Demonstrated ability to write efficiently for a c-suite audience, under tight deadlines.
- Must have a clear reputation for ethical conduct.
- Proven self-starter, results oriented with a keen attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills in written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills a must.
- Teamwork: Relates to others in an accepting and respectful manner, regardless of their organizational level, personality, or background. Actively promotes teamwork and information sharing across the function. Demonstrates teamwork that balances individual initiative with team accomplishments.
- Critical Thinking: Focuses on important information without getting bogged down in unnecessary detail. Approaches problems holistically; defined connections, linkages, interdependencies and develops solutions. Takes ownership of problems and stays on top of them until resolved.
- Relationship Building: Builds connections and partnerships across disciplines. Cultivates inclusiveness, openness and free exchange of views with a diverse team. Maintains positive relationships even under difficult or heated circumstances, Promotes an environment that leverages the unique talents and prospective of all individuals.
- Execution: Juggles many priorities and competing demands for one’s time. Holds self-accountable for outcomes. Removes obstacles in order to move the work forward and/or get efforts back on track
Learn more here
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us and share the specifics of the assistance you need.
Offers of employment are contingent on the completion of satisfactory references, background investigation, and (if applicable) any federal securities law requirements/FINRA regulations (including fingerprinting) and/or passing of a drug screening.
At MassMutual, we focus on ensuring fair, equitable pay by providing competitive salaries, along with incentive and bonus opportunities for all employees. Your total compensation package includes either a bonus target or in a sales-focused role a Variable Incentive Compensation component. For more information about our extensive benefits offerings please check out our Total Rewards at a Glance.
Job posted: 2023-05-10