Lead – Safety Standards and Public Policy
Bringing self-driving vehicles to our roads is the most transformative opportunity of our generation. Aurora is taking a fresh start with the development of self-driving technology, combining excellence in AI, rigorous engineering, and a team with decades of experience building robots that work.
Led by a team of seasoned experts, our mission is to deliver the benefits of self-driving technology safely, quickly, and broadly. We are designing the software and hardware to power the transportation of our future that will make our roads safer, give more people access to mobility, and reduce congestion and pollution in cities – improving the quality of life for all. The challenge in what we are endeavoring to achieve is transcendent; we are developing perhaps the world’s most complex computing system and asking it to perform the task of transporting and keeping safe our most precious asset: human life
Aurora hires people who are excited to build the future of transportation. We’re looking for people who are as excited as we are to solve these complex problems and make this tremendous impact on our future, and who want to be surrounded by great people while we do it. We are searching for a Safety Standards and Public Policy Lead that will be based in Pittsburgh, Palo Alto or San Francisco.
- Extensive experience partnering with or working within one safety-focused government agency, i.e. DOT, NHTSA, FMCSA, etc.
- Serve as the bridge between the public policy and government relations team and the safety engineering team
- Represent Aurora before industry groups and standard-making bodies, i.e. SAE, UL, IEEE, etc.
- Collaborate with product, legal, and regulatory teams to craft Aurora’s positions around safety and other subjects as necessary
- Engage with the product team to inform them on conversations occurring within industry that would impact the design of our product
- Work with the public affairs and communications team to identify opportunities for Aurora to position itself as a thought leader
- Communicate with company leadership discussions that would impact the direction that the company is moving
- Working knowledge of Road Vehicles Functional Safety standard ISO 26262 or similar Functional Safety standards
Working at Aurora
Our work has real purpose. Delivering self-driving will improve lives around the world, expanding access to transportation, revitalizing cities, giving people more time back every day.
We’re one team. We’re inspired by the challenge of what we’re solving and the impact our work will have on society. Our camaraderie is built on respect for our work and the fundamental belief our success will be a result of working together.
The Founding Team
Aurora has assembled the most experienced leadership team in the space. Chris Urmson helped lead Carnegie Mellon’s efforts in Darpa’s Grand Challenges, then was a founding member of Google’s self-driving team. Sterling Anderson developed MIT’S Intelligent CoPilot, then led the team that delivered Tesla Autopilot. Drew Bagnell, also a Carnegie Mellon alum, is a machine learning expert who helped build Uber’s autonomy effort. At Aurora, these three continue to bring experts from all areas of the industry to the team. We are funded by Amazon, T Rowe Price, and some of Silicon Valley’s best venture capital firms, including Sequoia, Greylock and Index Ventures.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-09