Lead, Western States, State Public Policy and Government Affairs
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo Policy and Government Affairs team has a front seat in this exciting moment in the evolution of autonomous vehicle, transportation and tech policy. Successful navigation of the policy landscape is critically important to deploying and scaling our business. Our team works directly with policymakers and third party groups at the national, state and local levels to help advance transportation policy, educate on the safety benefits of the technology, and advance consumer awareness and acceptance. Internally, our efforts support the innovative work of engineering, product, strategy, and partnerships teams, and we work closely with highly-skilled legal and safety experts.
In this role, you’ll:
- Craft Waymo’s state policy strategy, focused on ensuring that state policymakers and regulators are aware of the benefits of the technology and are creating appropriate policy frameworks to help foster the innovation
- Monitor and analyze state and local policy issues relevant to self-driving technology as they arise, and develop our policy positions on such issues
- Develop and implement strategies to communicate policy positions to key constituencies across the U.S, including advocating and lobbying before state legislatures and agencies of Western states, and assisting with local city council and mayoral advocacy, on behalf of the Waymo team.
- Work with trade associations, industry partners, non-profit groups, and other allies to promote and build support for Google self driving-cars policy positions at a state level
- Hire and manage state policy lobbyists as necessary in key locations across the U.S.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- BA/BS degree in law or public policy or equivalent practical experience, Graduate or Law degree beneficial.
- At least 10 years of policy experience working on issues relating to transportation and/or advanced technologies
- Direct experience working with or in state government (e.g. state legislature or Governor’s office).
- Ability to travel to manage state legislative demands
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience with transportation policy.
- Experience advancing legislation and regulation necessary for the success of breakthrough technology
- Experience managing, leading and collaborating with an ability to build and maintain productive internal and external relationships
- Ability to integrate public policy with business strategy
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-02-13