Legislative Advocacy Manager
Treatment Advocacy Center (TAC) is a national nonprofit organization based in Arlington, Virginia. Our mission is to eliminate barriers to treatment of severe mental illnesses such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
Since our founding in 1998, TAC has partnered with grassroots advocates to pass legislation in 34 states and at the federal level to improve conditions for people with severe mental illness and their families. We support compassionate civil commitment laws that enable timely and effective treatment of individuals who cannot recognize their own desperate need for psychiatric care and prevent the criminalization of mental illness.
We are seeking a Legislative Advocacy Manager to join our Policy & Advocacy team. The Legislative Advocacy Manager will be responsible for tracking, reviewing, analyzing, summarizing, and making recommendations on legislation related to TAC’s advocacy agenda. This will chiefly entail monitoring legislation introduced in statehouses across the nation and in Congress to identify bills of interest to TAC, communicating key information to our advocacy staff and grassroots partners, and maintaining an up-to-date legislative activity page on the TAC website.
This position will be based in Arlington, VA (temporarily remote due to COVID).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Track, review, analyze and summarize state and federal legislation related to TAC’s mission and public policy priorities.
• Coordinate with policy and advocacy staff to identify priority bills and to determine and communicate TAC’s positions on them.
• Communicate advocacy action items and prepare advocacy support materials for grassroots partners.
• Catalogue legislative endorsements, assist in building coalitions of support, draft and manage sign-on letters, and update information about such campaigns on TAC’s website.
• Liaise with lawmakers and agency staff with respect to shared legislative priorities.
• Develop a quarterly legislative newsletter for TAC supporters interested in following our advocacy activities and campaigns related to the need for medical treatment of severe mental illness.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Experience in a state or federal legislative office and/or other relevant work or educational experience. This should include familiarity with at least one common legislative tracking and advocacy tool such as BillTrack, Fiscal Note/VoterVoice, CQEngage or Statescape.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
• Knowledge of email marketing tools such as Constant Contact preferred
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong project management skills, organizational skills and attention to detail
• Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment and across teams to plan and implement programs and initiatives
• Ability to respond to and prioritize competing demands
• Ability to work in a fast-paced work environment and meet tight deadlines
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• A personal connection to and/or demonstrated affinity for TAC’s mission.
Commensurate with experience. Benefits include health, dental, 403(b) plan with employer contribution, free on-site parking, life/disability insurance, and liberal vacation and leave policies.
**Position is temporarily remotely located but will be located in our Arlington, Virginia office.
Resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Position will remain open until filled. No phone calls please.
Work Conditions & Physical Demands:
Essential functions are performed in a general office setting with low noise. Job demands may require long periods of sitting; telephone work and/or computer work, as well as interactions with other team members and external stakeholders. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. TAC is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Job posted: 2021-06-09