Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
This is currently a work-from-home position; however, Advancement Project will shift to a hybrid workplace model once it is safe to do so in the fall of 2022.
The Legislative Advocate (Advocate) will report to the Senior Manager of Government Relations and represent APCA as a registered lobbyist before the state legislature. As a critical member of the Government Relations team, the Advocate will be responsible for developing and maintaining contact with members and staff of the legislature, executive branch, various state departments, and other statewide partners working in Sacramento. The Advocate will also assist in developing legislative proposals; track legislation, statutes, regulations, policies, and the state budget; gather intelligence; monitor committee hearings; and perform general administrative duties as needed.
The successful candidate will have knowledge of the legislative and budget processes, with the ability to work independently and collaboratively with APCA’s program areas and partners. Excellent project management, collaborative experience, administrative skills, including strong attention to detail, and the ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet deadlines, are required. The successful candidate will also possess a proactive work style that anticipates the needs of their supervisor and colleagues.
· Serve as one of APCA’s advocates and spokespersons in Sacramento.
· Serve as a liaison between the Sacramento and LA offices, including facilitating dialogue between Sacramento and LA staff to ensure high-quality policy development as well as organization-wide planning, and communication activities, and ensures adherence to APCA’s goals and policies.
· Support the development and implementation of strategic goals set by the Senior Manager of Government Relations and APCA leadership.
· Develop and maintain a working relationship with members of the legislature, staff, committees, executive branch representatives, and other partner organizations on subject matters about APCA issues.
· Monitor, track, and provide a fundamental analysis of legislation and budget proposals to determine policy and fiscal implications of key bills highlighted as priorities for APCA.
· Investigate the viability of bill proposals.
· Draft position letters, legislative language, and testimony; and represents APCA at various hearings and meetings.
· Work with other organizations to gain support and/or opposition on issues important to APCA.
· Build and manage APCA strategic coalitions in Sacramento.
· Assist with identifying legislation and budget priorities for APCA’s policy programs and recommends position to the Senior Manager.
· Monitor and testify in legislative and budget hearings on assigned issues.
· Prepare material for hearings and meetings.
· Update the bill tracking system.
· Submit FPPC filings.
· Work with APCA’s Communications department to update the Government Relations webpage, write quarterly blogs, and update social media on Sacramento happenings.
· Participate in organization-wide planning, development, and communications activities, as needed, and ensure adherence to Advancement Project goals and policies within the project area.
· Other duties as assigned, dependent on organizational needs and employee skills.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must perform each essential job function assigned satisfactorily. The requirements listed represent the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Sincere and demonstrated commitment to advancing social, economic, and/or racial justice for the highest-need communities.
· 2-3 years of legislative and/or advocacy experience required.
· Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree in public policy or law preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential job duties may be considered.
· Demonstrated success in delivering high-quality work products on a consistent, reliable basis in a fast-paced work environment with ambitious goals.
· Strong interpersonal, analytical, and written and verbal communication skills are required.
· Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
· Experience managing multiple complex projects.
· General knowledge of the California Legislature’s organization, functions, process, and procedures required.
· Knowledge of and experience working on one of APCA’s core policy issues preferred (democracy, education, and/or government budgets and investments).
· Ability to analyze, evaluate and respond to legislative, budget, and regulatory proposals, complex data, and other information on APCA-related issues and legislation.
· Ability to promptly create and present compelling and persuasive presentations on controversial or complex topics to governmental leaders and partner organizations, often on short notice.
· Must have an intuitive ability to recognize and appropriately convey the sensitive nature of any situation and the ability to keep all matters appropriately confidential.
· Experience building and working in coalitions.
· Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail are required.
· Ability to multi-task various assignments, prioritize work and adjust to multiple demands.
· Excellent computer skills, proficient with MS Office applications.
· Flexibility to adjust and contribute to continually evolving work situations and changing priorities.
· Proficiency with social media, online communication, and webinar technologies is preferred.
· Must be able to travel locally and statewide.
Benefits & Perks
Perks & Work Environment
- Yearly professional development allowance and personalized professional development goals.
- Fifteen vacation days, three personal days, eight sick days, two weeks of paid parental leave, and national and official holidays.
- Organizational and team wellness days to help build team cohesion and camaraderie.
- Opportunity to see the meaning and impact of your work at an organization actively building more equitable communities and systems across California.
- Opportunity to work in a flexible work culture sensitive to employee wellbeing and encourages work-life balance.
- Additional benefits during the pandemic include scheduling flexibility for parents and caregivers and a telework stipend.
- Opportunity to work in a company dedicated to pay equity and a diverse work culture.
Salary & Benefits
- $77,000 – $87,000 depending on experience.
- Full, employer-covered medical, dental, and vision benefits with no employee contributions for spouses and/or dependents, including registered Domestic Partners.
- 403B retirement plan with employer matching benefits after 90 days.
- Flexible Spending Account for eligible employees to allocate pre-tax money throughout the year.
Please send an email with the subject “Last Name, First Name – Legislative Advocate Application” and a cover letter, resume, and policy-related writing sample as a PDF. The attachments should be titled “Last Name, First Name – Document Type.pdf” (e.g., McCorkle, Katrice – Resume.pdf) and sent to:
Human Resources Manager
· Phone interview with the hiring manager
· Two-panel interviews (via Zoom)
· Reference Checks
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Advancement Project is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, or any other category protected by local, state, or federal laws. We are committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive staff team. We strongly encourage applicants who are people of color, LGBTQ, women, people with disabilities; and/or formerly incarcerated people.
Job posted: 2022-06-21