Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Legislative Affairs Manager- Junior Lobbyist
Develops, plans, and executes government relations activities to promote and influence federal policies, legislation, and actions favorable to rural electric cooperatives and related programs and issues. Works closely with Members of Congress to inform and persuade lawmakers and staff to shape and advance policy outcomes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establishes and maintains relationships with Members of Congress and their staff. Presents electric cooperative positions and priorities to inform and persuade Congress, stakeholder coalitions, and allied organizations.
- Analyzes pending legislation which may impact electric cooperative members. Prepares and hones messages to assist lawmakers and staff to understand NRECA’s policy priorities.
- Develops legislation in accordance with policy resolutions of the Association. Conduct advocacy efforts in support of policy resolutions and assist in the formulation of policy resolutions that guide strategies on assigned legislative issues.
- Assists Legislative Affairs Directors with the coordination of the Vice President of Legislative Affairs, in advocacy efforts related to the advocacy of issues within the portfolios of the Legislative Affairs Directors.
- Prepares and hones messages to assist Members of Congress and their staffs to understand the policy priorities of NRECA and the impact of policy on electric cooperative members.
- Cultivates and maintains relationships with member cooperatives, including statewide managers, G&T managers and distribution managers, providing legislative updates and guidance while channeling their active participation in NRECA’s advocacy efforts.
- Develops and leads coalitions that advance key NRECA policy issues. Builds stakeholder support and cooperation to create awareness and consensus on issues. Expand network through leadership in coalitions and professional organizations for the benefit of the Association and its members.
- Provides legislative updates to Vice President, Legislative Affairs, NRECA management, membership and colleagues on current legislative matters. Participates in coordination of activities and timely exchange of information on current matters among Government Relations staff.
- Assists the Vice President of Legislative Affairs with activities of the NRECA Board of Directors and its committees. Appears before the Board Committees to inform them on legislative issues.
- Participates in and performs specific duties at the NRECA Annual Meeting and Regional Meetings as assigned, Legislative Conference and other meetings of NRECA members as appropriate.
- Participates in meetings of the Action Committee for Rural Electrification (ACRE) and makes recommendations on campaign contributions to candidates for Congress and incumbent Members of Congress. Represents NRECA at fundraising events.
Direct Reports to this Position
Formal Education Required:
Bachelor’s Degree in Government, Communications or related field.
Experience and Certifications Required:
- 3-5 years of experience with congressional offices or political campaigns serving in positions of responsibility such as campaign manager, press secretary, or legislative assistant, OR
- 3+ years of experience working with the federal and/or state agency or industry relating to the assigned area of responsibility
- 1+ year of experience with policy advocacy
- Experience working effectively as a member of a team to bring diverse skills to advocacy efforts.
- Experience on the hill or at a trade association is preferred.
- Experience advocating on issues within the assigned area of responsibility also preferred.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required (as demonstrated by prior work experience):
- Knowledge of the federal legislative process and public policy issues impacting the electric cooperative world preferred.
- Ability to manage competing deadlines and multiple projects at various stages of development using effective organization skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of people to foster cooperation in sharing information and materials.
- Ability to think strategically and creatively to achieve advocacy goals of the members.
Ability to effectively interact with others and work in a team environment and providing follow-up when needed.
- Ability to define issues, establish facts and draw valid conclusions and apply to work environment.
- Ability to communicate, both verbally and in writing, with a diverse membership, employees and/or vendors in a clear and precise manner.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office tools (Excel, Word, Outlook, Power Point) and to operate various office equipment such as personal computer, copier, printer, fax machine or other job-related equipment.
The preceding job description has been written to reflect management’s assignment of essential functions. It does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.
NRECA is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please e-mail email@example.com or call: 703-907-5992 – NRECA Arlington Human Resources. Please call 402-483-9275 – NRECA Lincoln Human Resources, for Lincoln, NE employment opportunities. We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) recently released the ‘Know Your Rights‘ poster, which updates and replaces the previous “EEO is the Law” poster and “EEO Is the Law Poster Supplement”.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination. NRECA will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay. Please see the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision for more information.
E-Verify. As a Federal Contractor, NRECA is required to participate in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work in the United States. For information please click on the following link: E-Verify.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-11-10