Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Legislative Affairs Representative (17743)
Duquesne Light Company, headquartered in downtown Pittsburgh, is a leader in providing electric energy and has been in the forefront of the electric energy market, with a history rooted in technological innovation and superior customer service. Today, the company continues its role as a leader in the transmission and distribution of electric energy, providing a secure supply of reliable power to more than half a million customers in southwestern Pennsylvania.
Duquesne Light Company is committed to creating a culture of inclusion. We value and respect the unique differences and experiences of our employees. We believe that our differences lead to better collaboration, innovation and outcomes. We want you to join our team!
- Develop, foster, and maintain relationships with Pennsylvania federal, state, and local officials.
- Engage with legislators and external stakeholders, including state and federal policymakers and third-party representatives, as appropriate.
- Effectively communicate and coordinate with elected officials to address constituent concerns or other company-related issues.
- Support legislative advocacy strategies that promote DLH policy goals and objectives before the Pennsylvania Legislature and Administration. Ensure these policies and positions are shared with government officials and other appropriate parties.
- Bring forward new ideas and initiate strategic thinking to promote DLH legislative priorities and policy goals.
- Monitor and review co-sponsorship memos/ legislation and provide appropriate feedback to internal and external stakeholders, as well as policymakers on strategic and business considerations for DLH.
- Ensure DLH senior management and subject matter experts are informed about pertinent legislative progress and developments.
- Coordinate and communicate with internal company business units, as necessary, regarding legislation that may impact DLH business units. Identify and communicate key legislative activities to internal audiences.
- Participate in and contribute to cross-departmental meetings and workgroups to provide political and policy insights.
- Develop supporting documents, including talking points, one-pagers, and briefing materials for lawmakers and DLH leadership.
- Aid in developing/drafting legislative proposals and provide insight/input when determining legislative strategy as necessary.
- Assist internal stakeholders in coordination and outreach of Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (IIJA) programs related to Duquesne Light or DQE Communications.
- Provide strategic and administrative support for Duquesne Light’s Political Action Committee (PAC) and assist with strategies to grow the PAC.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of PAC luncheons and other PAC-related events.
- Represent Duquesne Light at various events including roundtables, fundraisers, and other related events.
- Ensure adherence to Pennsylvania Campaign Finance and Lobbyist Disclosure laws and regulations and ensure timely filing of reports on behalf of Duquesne Light.
- Collaborate with Duquesne Light’s Communications team to develop strategies to inform and raise awareness of Government Affair’s team activities or other company activities, with local officials and staff.
- Assist in maintaining Government Affairs contact database, constituent inquiry data base, and CRM software.
- Assist and manage complaints from local elected officials during weather events and perform other “Storm Duty” related obligations as required.
Education and Experience Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, public policy, or related disciplines. Two (2) years related experience
Preferred Qualifications: Experience with Pennsylvania state and federal elected officials and the legislative process; 3-5 years experience in government relations or other related fields.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Utilized in this Role Include:
- Strong knowledge of legislative process at various levels of government (municipal, city, county, and state);
- Strong research and deductive skills.
- Ability to identify and synthesize substantive and political implications of issues.
- Ability to develop, recommend, and implement strategies to achieve objectives and problem solve.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Familiar with various social media platforms and outlets.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, especially in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Highly organized and works with close attention to detail.
- Ability to organize and manage several priorities simultaneously while working under pressure and deadlines.
Physical Requirements: Normal office environment. 25% travel to Pittsburgh and Washington DC as necessary. Position located in Harrisburg with a hybrid work model.
Primary focus is on daily deliverables, outputs and reporting. Typically accountable for managing one’s own time and work flow. Responsible for using prescribed guidelines to analyze situations and solve problems. Work is typically of moderate complexity requiring the incumbent to draw on previous knowledge to perform role. Continues to build knowledge base and develop capabilities by partnering with more experienced staff as needed.
Problems and issues faced are vague but may be recognizable based on past experience. Accountable for some direct level of reasoning and decision making in straightforward situations based on precedents.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Duquesne Light Company is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all people in all aspects of the employment relationship, without discrimination because of race, age, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity or status as a Vietnam era or special disabled veteran or any other unlawful basis, as defined by applicable law, and fostering a workplace free of unlawful discrimination and retaliation. This policy affects decisions including, but not limited to, hiring, compensation, benefits, terms and conditions of employment, opportunities for promotion, transfer, layoffs, return from a layoff, training and development, and other privileges of employment. An integral part of Duquesne Light Company’s commitment is to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws concerning equal employment and affirmative action.
Duquesne Light Company is committed to offering an inclusive and accessible experience for all job seekers, including individuals with disabilities. Our goal is to foster an inclusive and accessible workplace where everyone has the opportunity to be successful.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to search for a job opening, apply for a position, or participate in the interview process, connect with us at HR@duqlight.com and describe the specific accommodation requested for a disability-related limitation.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-05-07