Job Title: Legislative Analyst
Reports To: Staff Vice President
Group: Governmental Affairs
We are looking for a rising analytical and creative problem solver with strong attention to detail to join our team as an Analyst. The Legislative Analyst identifies bills of interest to the CALIFORNIA ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS and periodically communicates C.A.R.’s legislative policy development to members, directors, and upper management.
- Identify bills of interest to the CALIFORNIA ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS
- Communicate C.A.R.’s legislative policy development.
- Read all bills introduced and amended in the legislative session identifying bills of interest to C.A.R. and refer to appropriate lobbyist with a recommended position based on existing policy.
- Prepare legal updates/legislative program/ side-by-sides, etc. communicating C.A.R.’s policy and legislative program development.
- Provide research support to advocates.
- Act as liaison between local Governmental Affairs Director and C.A.R. on the state legislative level.
- Compile a draft for the Chief Lobbyist’s weekly update and prepare a draft of the Legislative Program bill report, with editing by the responsible lobbyists.
- Prepare and edit Power Point presentations for use in outreaches and other presentations.
- Organize, arrange for speakers, monitor and record Policy Committee meetings during BOD meetings, and assist with minutes and motion presentation at Legislative Committee.
- Administers internal bill tracking system; includes internal archives.
- Utilize various electronic systems on a regular basis: State Archives for Legislative intent research; CapitolTrack bill tracking software system; Legislative Counsel on-line official legislative information system (LegInfo)
- Prepare Issue Briefing Papers for ballot propositions on a statewide ballot. (only during election years)
- Perform other job duties as assigned.
Minimum education required
- Bachelor’s Degree in government, political science, or related field.
Minimum Experience Required
- Minimum of 2 years work experience
- Political, legislative, or policy experience preferred
- Familiarity with Publisher
- Familiarity with Zoom
- Strong presentation creation skills (PowerPoint)
- Strong internet research skills
- Knowledge of legislative protocols/public policy formation preferred.
- Intermediate to advanced level in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and outstanding customer service orientation.
- Ability to function effectively in a variety of challenging situations and circumstances, including difficult project deadlines, demanding customers, tight budgets, and evolving goals and objectives.
- Ability to work effectively with co-workers, customers and others by sharing ideas in a constructive and positive manner.
- Excellent work ethic and attendance.
- Consistency in giving feedback regarding work progress, timetable and issues.
Leading the Way…TMisn’t just a slogan at the CALIFORNIA ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® (C.A.R.). As one of the largest state trade organizations in the United States, C.A.R. provides members with tools to help complete transactions, information to keep them nimble in the marketplace and a strong clear voice on the government steps in Sacramento. How do we do it? We start by hiring friendly, talented people committed toworking toward those common goals.
Headquartered in sunny Los Angeles, C.A.R. offers business casual wear, an on-site exercise room, a health and wellness program including lunch and learns with guest speakers, a FitBit® program, and collaborative working areas.
Medical, dental, vision, vitamin reimbursement, 401(k) retirement plan, 11 paid holidays, and more.
C.A.R. staff stand by a set of core values that make us the best in the business. Take a look for yourself and see what we are all about www.car.org.
For consideration – qualified applicants only please – submit cover letter and resume (in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format) to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
C.A.R. and/or its subsidiaries and agents will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance
Sorry! Due to the heavy volume of resumes we receive, only candidates being considered will be contacted directly. We appreciate your interest in employment opportunities with the CALIFORNIA ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®.
Job posted: 2020-06-05