Full timeBloomberg Government provides up-to-the minute news on legislative, regulatory, and policy developments – along with comprehensive directories to help you connect with policymakers and influencers. The legislative analyst team plays a critical role by helping clients understand proposed policy changes at the federal level. We cut through the noise to produce informative, interesting and innovative content–bill summaries, broader analysis covering topics moving through Congress, presentations, media appearances, and more. We’re seeking a detail-oriented writer who can turn complex ideas into easy-to-read analysis. Someone who can tell readers what’s most important while offering details and context for those who need to take a closer look.
As a legislative analyst, a typical day might include the following:
- Draft analysis of active legislation and research related data, affected groups and industries, and background information
- Analyze related data for trends and interesting information, and use data to create visuals, graphics and other materials that will help clients and decision makers
- Work with reporters across the globe to understand major U.S. legislative issues and write stories about them
- Brainstorm and pitch analysis/story/presentation ideas to editors, teammates
- Aid reporters in legislative research to better understand technical/legal language
This job might be for you if:
- You enjoy diving into and understanding complex topics including, but not limited to, transportation programs, tax, trade, federal spending, and defense.
- You enjoy writing and data visualization to take those complex topics and make them understandable for readers.
- You work well under pressure. You can write multiple pieces about multiple topics with very short timelines
- You can speak with authority to explain just about anything to anyone.
- You are motivated and driven. You raise your hand when given the opportunity, enjoy working with others in a fast-paced environment, and take ownership of projects.
Education and Experience:
To be successful in this position you need:
- A bachelor’s degree in political science, government, economics, public policy or equivalent work experience. and
- A minimum of three years of experience in a writing job, such as analyst, reporter, researcher, or similar position.
- Demonstrated experience as a writer capable of quickly producing clear, concise and accurate analyses of legislation for readers with varied levels of expertise or knowledge.
- Prior experience following legislation as it moves through the process, either through direct experience on Capitol Hill, at trade associations, lobbying shops, or in a media organization.
Previous experience with the federal appropriations process preferred, experience navigating Capitol Hill a plus. Familiarity with numbers and large data sets and graphics is also preferred.
Candidates may be required to pass a test for this position.
Bloomberg Industry Group IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER and fully subscribes to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity. Bloomberg Industry Group has adopted an Affirmative Action Program to ensure that all applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion, and job status without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, genetic information, disabled veteran, veteran, veteran of the Vietnam Era, or any other classification protected by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-23