Full timeBloomberg Government provides up-to-the-minute news on legislative, regulatory, and policy developments – along with comprehensive directories to help professionals connect with policymakers and influencers. The legislative analyst team plays a critical role by helping clients understand proposed policy changes at the federal level. We cut through the noise to produce informative, interesting, and innovative content–bill summaries, broader analysis covering topics moving through Congress, presentations, media appearances, and more. We’re seeking a detail-oriented writer who can turn complex ideas into easy-to-read analysis. Someone who can tell readers what’s most important while offering details and context for those who need to take a closer look.
During a typical day as a BGOV legislative analyst, you would:
- Write analyses of active legislation, explaining major provisions, proposed changes, background, and stakeholder positions in plain language.
- Author articles on legislative and policy trends at the federal level.
- Analyze datasets from federal and other sources and create graphics for stories and presentations.
- Work with reporters across the globe to write about major U.S. legislative issues and help them better understand technical/legal language.
- Brainstorm and pitch ideas to editors, teammates.
This job might be for you if you:
- Enjoy diving into and understanding complex topics including — but not limited to — health care, education, other social policy, and the federal appropriations process.
- Excel at writing and data visualization to make complex topics understandable for readers.
- Work well under pressure, including writing multiple pieces about multiple topics with very short timelines.
- Can write and speak with authority to explain just about anything to anyone.
- Are motivated and driven, raise your hand when given an opportunity, enjoy working with others in a fast-paced environment, and take ownership of projects.
To be successful in this position you need:
- A bachelor’s degree in political science, government, economics, or public policy, or equivalent work experience.
- A minimum of three years of experience in a writing job, such as analyst, reporter, researcher, or similar position.
- Demonstrated experience as a writer capable of quickly producing clear, concise, and accurate analyses of legislation or public policy for readers with varied levels of expertise or knowledge.
- Experience following legislation as it moves through the process, either through direct experience on Capitol Hill, at a trade association, nonprofit, or think tank, or in a media organization.
Previous experience with the federal appropriations process preferred, experience navigating Capitol Hill a plus. Familiarity with numbers and large data sets and graphics is also preferred.
Special Requirement: Candidates may be required to pass a test for this position.
Bloomberg Industry Group IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER and fully subscribes to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity. Bloomberg Industry Group has adopted an Affirmative Action Program to ensure that all applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion, and job status without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical issues, genetic information, disabled veteran, veteran, a veteran of the Vietnam Era, or any other classification protected by law.
Job posted: 2021-02-11