Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Legislative Analyst (USAID-LPA)
The Legislative Analyst serves as a key member of the Legislative Reference Division within USAID’s Bureau for Legislative and Public Affairs. The Division handles the Agency’s Congressional notifications, reports, and correspondence, and serves as a liaison with the Office of Management and Budget with regard to testimony and legislative reference memoranda. In consultation with the Divisions of House and Senate Affairs, and the Office of Executive Secretariat, the Legislative Reference Division manages preparation and tasking of materials related to annual Congressional requirements, Administrator’s Congressional testimony, legislative guidance and tracking, and outreach training. The Legislative Analyst works closely with members of the Legislative Affairs team to track legislation and reporting to Congress, and contributes to key products such as reports to Congress. The Legislative Analyst reports to the Division Chief of Legislative Reference.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support USAID’s major initiatives through tracking and reporting of legislative priorities and actions.
- Provide strategic analytical support to LPA and other parts of USAID regarding development, coordination, implementation, data analysis, and assessment of legislative products and strategies.
- Develop strategic congressional engagement plans, as needed.
- Develop, edit, and transmit USAID funding and programmatic notifications, reports, and briefing materials for Congress.
- Manage streamlined, transparent, and well-organized clearance processes.
- Report on congressional hearings, briefings, legislation mark-ups, and floor actions, as necessary.
- Ensure that responses to Congressional inquiries – including Questions for the Record, consultations, and requests – are consistent, well-written and organized in a system easily retrievable for staff.
- Work with counterparts in the LPA Press and Public Affairs Office, and with other Bureau Communicators, to ensure consistency of message and unity of purpose for outreach to Congress and external groups.
- Support lead Legislative Program Specialists in preparation and editing of congressional correspondence, transcripts, reports, questions for the record, Congressional Notifications, and Legislative Referral Memoranda.
- Develop weekly updates on work accomplished and upcoming tasks.
- The ability to obtain a secret-level security clearance is required. An active secret-level clearance is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree, and a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
- Minimum 1 year of experience working with Congress is required. 3 or more years of experience, including experience working for a Member of Congress or Congressional Committee, preferred.
- Detailed knowledge of USAID programs, processes, and procedures.
- Minimum 1 year of experience drafting and executing legislative strategies to advance foreign policy and/or foreign assistance-related objectives required. 3 or more years of experience preferred.
- Minimum 1 year of experience with federal budget and appropriations processes, including knowledge of relevant foreign assistance-related legislation required. 3 or more years of experience preferred.
- Ability to provide support required outside of core working hours, as necessary. The contractor will be notified in advance if after-hours support is required.
- Ability to perform tasks requiring tight deadlines and manage several tasks at once.
- Ability to collaborate with the USAID Front Office, USAID Regional and Functional Bureaus, and other USAID operating units (OUs).
- Ability to work independently.
Per Executive Order (E0 14042) proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required prior to your start date.
Required Skill Sets
- Strong oral and written skills
- Strong interpersonal communication experience with teams and clients.
- Strong experience with Google Workspace products, including Gmail, Google Drive, Google Meet, Google Docs, and Google Sheets.
- Strong experience with MS Office Suite programs (including but not limited to Excel, Word, and PowerPoint)
Jefferson Consulting Group is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, genetic data, veteran status or any category protected by law. #zr
Job posted: 2022-01-01