Legislative Campaign Liaison
The Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) is the national trade association of the solar energy industry representing nearly 1,000 companies from around the world. Our mission is to build a strong solar industry to power America. We achieve that aim by supporting pro-solar policy at the federal and state level, developing cutting-edge industry research, and speaking as the voice of the solar industry to press and public.
At SEIA, our staff arrives every morning knowing that their work improves our country’s energy independence, empowers our member businesses and strengthens our economy through the creation of more than 250,000 U.S. jobs. Combining a strong sense of purpose and a great work environment has resulted in SEIA being selected as one of the “Best Non-Profits” to work for in America.
The Legislative Campaign Liaison reports to the Vice President of Congressional Affairs. This role provides support to the Congressional Affairs department and serves as a key point of contact and organizer for grassroots and grass tops outreach. This outreach includes connecting with companies, individuals and partner organizations in key jurisdictions, helping increase their participation to act as advocates for policy priorities and legislative efforts that will assist the clean energy transition and increased use of solar. This individual will also be responsible for planning and executing SEIA’s DC-based and virtual lobby days. In addition, this role drafts routine correspondence, including e-mail communications, to SEIA staff and members.
Core Duties & Responsibilities
- Plans, coordinates, and supports SEIA lobby days and other outreach meetings.
- Identifies and trains grassroots advocates in lobbying strategy.
- Recruits grassroots support working in coordination with lobbying team, including making connections and cold calls to help with regional contacts and the solar supply chain.
- Communicates with SEIA members, organizes committee and working group activities, and responds to member company inquiries.
- Facilitates standard operating procedures for grassroots and grass tops engagement and improves processes to better serve our members and improve our advocacy efforts.
- Attends meetings and briefings on behalf of the Association as assigned and provides summaries, alerting the VP of important issues and deadlines.
- Drafts and manages briefing materials for SEIA lobby team for meetings and fundraisers.
- Identifies advocacy needs and develops coalitions around key issues.
- Facilitates development of written content to support organizing goals.
- Works cross departmentally to maintain alignment with SEIA’s broader goals and supports organization-wide initiatives.
- This position description should not be construed to imply that the requirements are the sole standards for the position. Incumbents are expected to perform all other duties as required.
Professional Experience, Education & Other Qualifications
SEIA is seeking a dynamic individual to join our team. Qualified candidates with possess:
- A bachelor’s degree.
- 2-5 years of field or campaign organizing or legislative outreach experience, especially with grassroots membership.
- Ability to effectively coordinate and run meetings both in and outside the organization.
- Ability to effectively analyze data.
- Excellent public speaking and persuasive communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and team member skills.
- Ability to effectively collaborate.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience working for or with political campaigns, field organizing, labor unions or trade associations.
- Computer literacy skills (Microsoft Office tools including Word, Excel and Outlook).
- A strong work ethic and cheerful customer-service attitude in order to thrive in our fast-paced, collaborative and team-oriented environment.
- Work is in an office environment or in a work from home environment until further notice due to the pandemic.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirement email@example.com with the subject “Legislative Campaign Liaison (2021).” Submissions that are in the form of a single Word or PDF document facilitate review and are preferred. Please name all files using the following format: “[name]_[document title, e.g. Resume]_SEIA
No calls please; direct applicants only, no search or placement firms. SEIA is an equal opportunity employer. Learn more about SEIA at www.seia.org.
Working at SEIA
SEIA values diversity, inclusion and equity within our organization and the promotion of these values across the solar industry. We strive to welcome different perspectives, identities, and backgrounds, regardless of job function in order to create a more resilient organization that supports a strong, equitable solar industry. SEIA envisions an industry that is committed to fostering a culture of inclusivity. We aim to achieve this by encouraging openness and transparency about diversity issues and progress. We will develop strategies, programs, and tools that seek to equalize opportunities within SEIA and allow for discussing and sharing best practices within the solar industry.
SEIA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, SEIA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we employ staff. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
SEIA expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Learn more about SEIA at www.seia.org.
Job posted: 2021-06-06