Legislative Counsel/Senior Legislative Counsel
Salary: Legislative Counsel: $75,000 – $85,000/yr, Senior Legislative Counsel: D.O.E.
Compassion & Choicesis seeking a Legislative Counsel or Senior Legislative Counsel to help
advance our medical outreach and education efforts across the country.
This position is primarily responsible for (1) tracking and analyzing state legislation, regulations, and
other government policies (2) preparing responses to state legislation/regulations/government policies;
and (3) supporting priorities and initiatives of the legal and policy staff.
This is a full-time, Portland/Washington D.C./remotely-located, paid position reporting to the Chief Legal
Advocacy Officer/General Counsel. Compensation offered will be commensurate with experience.
We offer excellent benefits including employer-shared medical and dental insurance premiums,
employer-paid short- and long-term disability, life and accidental death & dismemberment insurance,
flexible spending account for medical and child care, commuter pre-tax benefit, eligibility to participate
in 401K with generous 5% employer match and 100% vested at time of eligibility, 9 paid holidays, 17 PTO
days first year, and floating holidays.
This position will primarily be responsible for:
● Supporting the development and implementation of program goals and metrics to achieve
● Supporting setting priorities, developing timelines, and ensuring completion of timely high
● Analyzing state legislation, proposed/final regulations and other government policies and
preparation of materials to advance C&C policy priorities and positions.
● Collaborating with other C&C staff and coordinates in order to cultivate and maintain
relationships and partnerships with healthcare industry stakeholders, regulatory agencies, allied
organizations, academic policy experts, and other non-governmental stakeholders to leverage
areas of common interest and achieve Compassion & Choices program goals.
● Monitoring and reporting on state legislation and other government activity with potential
impact on state and national programs.
Preferred Qualifications (You will be a good fit):
Education and Experience:
● Law degree from accredited university
● A minimum of 3-7 years of professional work experience in legal research and analysis,
advocacy, or public policy. To be considered for Senior Legislative Counsel, more than 7 years
experience is required. Relevant advanced degree(s) may substitute for work experience.
● Active law license
● Subject-matter expertise in healthcare-related issues
● Superb legislative analysis
● Excellent oral and written communication
● Ability to work independently and as part of a team
● High level attention to detail; ability to meet all deadlines.
● Computer Skills: Familiarity with legislative tracking tools and Microsoft Office suite
How to Apply:
Email current resume and cover letter as one PDF document to HR@CompassionAndChoices.org. In the
subject line of your email, indicate “Last_First Name, LC 10-2020”. In your cover letter, please (1)
indicate how your personal philosophy aligns with our mission, (2) provide a brief summary of your
directly related experience, and (3) provide your salary expectation (with a specific amount/range vs
Questions about the position may be directed to HR@compassionandchoices.org.
About Compassion & Choices
Across the nation, Compassion & Choices works to create a society that affirms life and accepts the
inevitability of death, embraces expanded options for compassionate dying, and empowers everyone to
choose end-of-life care that reflects their values, priorities and beliefs. To make this vision a reality, we
improve care, expand options and empower everyone to chart their end-of-life journey.
Compassion & Choices is committed to building a staff that reflects the diverse communities that make
up our country. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and recruit, hire, train, promote, and administer
any and all personnel actions without regard to age, color, creed, disability, economic status, ethnic
identity, gender identity, national origin race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veterans status, or any
other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Link to Job Description: https://compassionandchoices.org/about-us/employment
Job posted: 2020-10-13