Wakefern Food Corp. is the largest retailer-owned cooperative in the United States and supports its co-operative members’ retail operations, trading under the ShopRite®, Price Rite®, The Fresh Grocer®, Dearborn Markets®, and Gourmet Garage® banners. Employing an innovative approach to wholesale business services, Wakefern focuses on helping the independent retailer compete in a big business world. Providing the tools entrepreneurs need to stay a step ahead of the competition, Wakefern’s co-operative members benefit from the company’s extensive portfolio of services, including innovative technology, private label development, and best-in-class procurement practices.
We are looking for a Legislative Manager to work in conjunction with the Director of Government Relations Department to provide strategic leadership, direction, and support Wakefern’s business priorities by providing guidance and political insight to company leadership. This role is responsible for the management of the Government Relations Department and leading state government affairs initiatives across all lines of business including a 10 state service area, and surrounding markets as directed. This position leads strategic policy and planning initiatives in support of Wakefern’s business priorities, providing guidance and political insight to company leadership. Essential to this role is establishing and managing key relationships with state regulators, elected officials at all levels, and advocates to maintain day-to-day understanding of state activities and possible impact to Wakefern. The Legislative Manager will be a key leader in promoting sound public policy in line with Wakefern’s mission and values.
The essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Advises internal stakeholders as to the government relations impact on business.
- Under the guidance of Director of Government Relations, develops issue priorities for Wakefern.
- Identifies and analyzes legislation that may affect the business, as well as proposes strategies to amend and improve legislation.
- Prepares/plans Government Relations Committee quarterly meetings and delivers updates at Wakefern committee meetings
- Shapes and advances Wakefern policy and aligns strategic objectives through key food associations, business associations, Cooperative membership, and other food industry thought leaders.
- Serves as the external facing contact and leader for positioning Wakefern with state influencers and elected officials and regulators, by advocating positions with legislators and regulators, and representing Wakefern at meetings, functions and political events.
- Acts as the Wakefern state government affairs liaison to key trade association and business organizations, including representation of Wakefern at meetings, functions and political events.
- Creates a company presence across both political parties and with key thought leaders across Wakefern’s service area.
- Develops/Manages legislative outreach for all states in which the cooperative trades.
- Oversees state political giving and works with Director to advance the Federal PAC.
- Supervises day to day work of Government Relations associates, including preparation of performance reviews and development plans.
- Supervises grassroots program
- Recruits, screens and hires Government Relations associates.
- Develops and supervises Washington lobby days
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor degree ( Master’s preferred) in Political Science or related field
- 10-15 or more years of lobbying or government relations experience
- Proven track record of achieving legislative goals
- Experience managing multiple state lobbying activities and working with multiple state trade associations
- Demonstrated ability to assess a situation, develop and implement a strategy for successfully achieving desired outcomes
- Excellent writing skills including ability to prepare testimony, legislative briefs, summaries and grassroots outreach letters
- Strong verbal and interpersonal communications skills
- Ability for frequent in-district and out of state travel is required
- Ability to work nights, weekends and some overnights
- Proficient computer skills including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision package
- Competitive Salary and PTO
- Collaborative team environment
- Vibrant Food Centric Culture
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-22