Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Reports to: Senior Director for Advocacy and Organizing
Summary of Position
Transportation Alternatives (TA), New York City’s advocate for walking, bicycling, and public transportation, seeks a highly motivated and accomplished policy and legislative expert to contribute to our campaigns for safe streets and accessible public transportation. Through legislative advocacy, lobbying, and public policy this staff member will work with our team to educate elected officials, government agency staff, civic leaders and the public about our policy goals and related work. The focus will primarily be directed at New York City and New York State.
This position will work with our entire staff to build relationships with key partners and advance policy and advocacy solutions.
- With the Senior Director for Advocacy & Organizing, develop and execute policy and legislative campaigns
- Implement T.A.’s city and state legislative agendas and related organizational activities
- Draft and distribute bill memos and advocacy materials
- Research, identify, and track legislation that supports TA’s mission for advocacy support
- Build relationships with elected officials and staff
- Develop and maintain expertise in the laws of the City and State of New York related to transportation, traffic safety and related topics
- Monitor the legislative process in New York City and Albany
- Identify key opportunities to advance policy reforms for New York
Qualified candidates will bring with them:
- Commitment to making NYC a better place to bike, walk and use public transit
- At least 3 years years experience in legislation, with a strong background in advocacy, transportation, or working a legislative body
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to meet goals and deadlines while working independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to build trust and maintain relationships with elected officials and community partners
- Strong communication skills, and able to write clearly and persuasively
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, frequently changing environment
- Able to develop and execute policy and legislative strategy.
- Knowledge and experience in the legislative process, including bill drafting.
Exceptional candidates will also bring with them:
- Familiarity and interest in TA’s work and advocacy areas
- Experience working closely with New York City and state elected officials, government agency staff and organizational leaders.
- Experience executing legislative campaigns with proven results.
This position is included in the bargaining unit of TA employees represented by the Technical, Office and Professional Union, T.O.P. Local 2110 UAW.
Please send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Legislative Manager Search” as the subject line
Transportation Alternatives is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law. We value having diverse staff in gender, ethnicity, background and modal preference. BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job posted: 2022-07-12