Legislative Policy Counsel
The legislative policy counsel will assist with all aspects of RAINN’s policy research and development and government relations efforts. The counsel will also help manage RAINN’s role as a technical assistance provider for the Justice Department’s Sexual Assault Initiative program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the vice president for public policy, the legislative policy counsel will:
- Analyze draft legislation and policy proposals and make recommendations for improvements.
- Research and draft legal policy memos, policy proposals and legislation on sexual violence issues.
- Provide expertise on the investigation and prosecution of sexual violence.
- Research and draft amicus briefs, in collaboration with outside pro-bono counsel, and internal general counsel.
- Monitor and provide updates on congressional activities.
- Work with pro bono counsel to maintain current databases of state laws pertaining to sexual violence.
- Monitor and report on state legislative and regulatory activities and draft position papers and statements of support or opposition.
- Manage compliance contractor and supervise timely filing of all federal and state lobbying reports.
- Research issues and draft responses in response to media inquiries.
- Support and participate in state and federal lobbying efforts.
- Support RAINN’s work on the Sexual Assault Kit Initiative by attending stakeholder and grantee meetings; developing briefing materials and providing on-site and remote training, technical assistance and support to SAKI sites.
- All other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge and/or ability required:
- Law degree required.
- Minimum five years of legal practice required. Direct experience with sexual violence prosecutions or legislative experience is strongly preferred.
- Must have strong commitment to RAINN’s mission of supporting survivors and bringing perpetrators to justice and solid knowledge of policy issues affecting sexual violence.
- Exceptional analytical, research and organizational skills a must.
- Must be detail oriented and effectively time manage multiple assignments at once.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Must be able to perform with minimal supervision and function well in a cooperative team environment.
- Experience with statistical analysis a plus, but not required.
- Commitment to RAINN’s dual mission of providing trauma-informed and compassionate support to survivors of sexual assault, while also removing barriers to effective prosecution and incarceration of perpetrators.
- Ability to travel as necessary (less than 5%).
- Must complete a criminal background check (administered by RAINN).
- Personal integrity, strong ethics and ability to work well as a team a must.
The following physical activities are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations:
- While performing the duties of this position, the individual is required to move, sit, possess the manual dexterity sufficient for the operation of a computer/PC; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear.
- Must have vision correctable to the level where individual can operate a computer; visualize text on a computer monitor.
- Must be able to remain in stationary position 80% of the time.
This position is based in Washington, DC. Please note that all RAINN staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Vice President of Public Policy at https://rainn.applicantpro.com. Please no phone calls.
When you work for RAINN, you’re joining a team of experts and professionals who stand up for survivors of sexual violence every day. Your job is important — and so are you. RAINN will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status. RAINN is committed to maximizing the diversity of its organization and depends on a diverse staff to carry out its mission, and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.
Job posted: 2020-07-10