Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
This position provides legislative and administrative strategy development and implementation on environmental issue priorities for Earthjustice on broad issue areas as assigned by Supervisor. This role will focus on a range of issues related to federal oil and gas development.
Lobby Strategy Development and Implementation (50-60 %):
- Develop and implement legislative and administrative advocacy strategies relating to assigned issues.
- Directly lobby Congress and the Administration.
- Tracks legislation and policy initiatives relating to assigned issues.
- Educates Congress and the Administration on key legal challenges and rulings.
- Develops lobby and education materials, including but not limited to fact sheets, letters, action alerts and blogs.
- Works with Communications Department to develop media strategies and conducts outreach to media and the creation of social media, blogs and op-eds on assigned issues.
- Work with Legislative Director and when warranted relevant litigators and internal issue area experts to develop positions and strategies on relevant legislation and administrative actions.
- Perform policy, legislative and legal analysis.
- Educate the Administration and Congress on key legal challenges and rulings. Serve as spokesperson for Earthjustice on assigned issues.
- Manage projects and other efforts performed on assigned issues by Assistants, Interns, Contractors or others.
Coalition and Partnerships (20-30%):
- Represent Earthjustice in coalitions and with allies on assigned issues.
- Cultivate allies, thoughtful partnerships and coalitions in support of assigned issues.
- Create opportunities for partners and allies to engage in advocacy on assigned issues and to be engaged in strategy development as appropriate.
- Coordinate briefings, seminars, and informational sessions with partners as well as support partners’ in traditional and social media efforts as appropriate.
Internal Coordination and Administration (20%):
- Represents PAL on Earthjustice working groups related to assigned issues.
- Liaison with Earthjustice Legislative Director, relevant litigators, and communications staff working on assigned issues.
- Ensure PAL Vice President, Legislative Directors and other PAL lobbyists are aware of work you are doing that may impact them, for coordination, etc.
- Act as a team player, assist other PAL lobbyists when time-pressed to complete actions pertaining to their assigned issues. Coordinate with other PAL lobbyists on shared legislation or cross-cutting issues.
- Participate and contribute in strategy meetings regarding possible or pending litigation bound to impact advocacy efforts on covered issues.
- Contribute to Earthjustice’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) mission through involvement in trainings and internal working groups.
- Ensure timely submission of attendance, time accounting and reimbursement requests.
- Two to six years’ experience with the legislative process.
- Legislative Counsel has obtained a JD. Legislative Representative has obtained a Bachelor’s or Master’s.
- Familiarity with administrative rulemaking process.
- Familiarity with legislative process.
- Two years experience working the federal legislative and administrative process.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, projects and deadlines.
- Detail oriented and good organizational skills.
- Excellent writing and oral communications skills.
- Proven ability to work in coalitions and with allies.
- Experience in working with traditional and social media.
- Proven ability to work independently and proactively.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to recruiting, hiring, developing and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Physical Demands: Skill in operating various office equipment, such as personal computer, calculator, copy machine, facsimile machine, and telephone system. Ability to perform routine bending, stooping, twisting, and reaching. Ability to travel to meetings throughout the DC area. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for personnel so classified
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an extremely congenial work environment and a casual dress code.
Salary is dependent on experience and location. Legislative Counsel has obtained a JD. Legislative Representative has obtained a Bachelor’s or Master’s.
Salary range in Washington, DC: $93,500-$103,900
Interested candidates should the following via Jobvite:
- One or two page cover letter.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Job posted: 2021-03-11