What you’ll be doing…
- Developing and implementing Verizon’s public policy strategy and external affairs and community engagement programs in the city and county of San Francisco, San Jose and surrounding jurisdictions in Northern California in support of company goals and positions across all business units enterprise-wide with a focus on issues including technology deployment.
- Responsible for representing Verizon and working with third parties and community leaders to influence policy makers at the municipal and state government level.
- Accountable for strengthening Verizon’s impact using extensive government and community affairs experience and network.
- Supports Verizon regulatory team to influence decisions in key state and local regulatory initiatives.
- Responsible for identifying and influencing proposed state and local legislative activities working with advocates.
- Plans and executes strategies to ensure that any state or local legislation has a positive or neutral impact on the company.
- Interacts with leaders of the state and local jurisdiction’s executive branch and with members of state and municipal legislative bodies.
- Keeps management informed of pending legislation and community engagement.
- Serves as primary strategic liaison to company affiliations, special business, third party groups, grassroots local influencers, and community and thought leaders.
- Provides team direction on communicating messages and strategic initiatives to key stakeholders.
- Plans and develops strategic messaging.
- Represents Verizon in a variety of forums including providing testimony at city council, committee meetings or other hearings that address legislation impacting Verizon and in local community meetings.
- Compiles competitive intelligence.
What we’re looking for…
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Five or more years of experience in state or municipal government relations with an understanding of local government and its external and internal influencers and networks.
- Willingness to travel.
- Willingness to work in a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends as necessary.
- Valid driver’s license.
Even better if you have:
- Law degree.
- Public policy, community engagement, advocacy experience on behalf of a technology, communications, cable TV or public utilities business/industry.
- Knowledge of Verizon operations and business functions or extensive positioning already established in territory.
- Demonstrated skills in negotiating issues in support of corporate goals and objectives.
- Ability to work both during normal business hours, as well as, evenings and weekends should the circumstances require availability.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Self-starter and evidence of intellectual curiosity.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to work with all levels of management.
- Highest level of personal integrity.
- Strong network of contacts at the state and municipal level in City and County of San Francisco, San Jose and surrounding jurisdictions in Northern California and/or state legislature in California.
- Experience in advocacy/issues management, community organizing, and coalition-building.
- Knowledge of regulatory and legislative processes at the municipal and state level.
- Experience in the development, management and advocacy of telecommunications policies and positions
- Knowledge concerning economic regulation in the communications, cable, or utilities industries.
When you join Verizon…
You’ll have the power to go beyond – doing the work that’s transforming how people, businesses and things connect with each other. Not only do we provide the fastest and most reliable network for our customers, but we were first to 5G – a quantum leap in connectivity. Our connected solutions are making communities stronger and enabling energy efficiency. Here, you’ll have the ability to make an impact and create positive change. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, join our team of the best and brightest. We offer great pay, amazing benefits and opportunity to learn and grow in every role. Together we’ll go far.
Verizon will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees’ differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-17