Major Donor Fundraising Manager
Major Donor Fundraising Manager
The American Medical Association (AMA), a nonprofit, is the nation’s largest professional Association of physicians. We are a unifying voice and powerful ally for America’s physicians, the patients they care for, and the promise of a healthier nation. To be part of the AMA is to be part of our Mission to promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.
As an employer, we are dedicated to many efforts, including employee learning and development, social responsibility, diversity and inclusion and wellness.
Our well-defined culture has strongly impacted the prosperity of our organization. Our foundational values of Respect, Integrity, Innovation, Impact, Collaboration, Agility and Trust are at the core of our efforts and continue to shape the success of the AMA.
We have an opportunity at our corporate offices in Washington, D.C. for a Major Donor Fundraising Manager on our Advocacy team. In this role, you will plan, develop, and implement AMPAC major donor fundraising programs, including special events and membership benefits, to support political fundraising events. Manage AMPAC Board member fundraising activities while utilizing data analytics and other fundraising tactics to maximize AMPAC contributions and awareness. Produce communications vehicles to promote all levels of AMPAC membership. Enhance the profile of the AMA through fundraisers and events for Members of Congress and other federal candidates.
AMPAC Board support and major donor engagement
• Plan and execute AMPAC Board members’ fundraising activities including peer-to-peer major donor solicitation maximizing donations including AMPAC’s share of donors’ political contributions
• Create materials for AMPAC Board onsite meetings, and provide relevant training for Board members
• Personalize written, electronic and in-person communications to Board and major donors to communicate the value of AMPAC’s political activities compared with those of specialized PACs
Assess opportunities to increase effectiveness of AMPAC fundraising efforts
• Identify opportunities to pursue new major donor relationships, including identifying trends in AMPAC and other AMA data assets, and collaborating with vendors to identify donor leads
• Measure AMPAC major donor retention and engagement, and identify opportunities to engage donors
• Monitor PAC fundraising trends to inform AMPAC’s activities: application of FEC regulations to our activities, new tactics to build donor base while retaining valuable contributors, political interests of our donors (including competing with specialized PACs for major donors)
• Recommend candidates to benefit from in-kind fundraisers with RPDs, lobbyists, and Federation staff
• Advise AMA and Federation staffs to ensure compliance, including FEC requirements for inkind fundraising for federal candidates, and with restrictions on use of donor data
Plan and execute donor communications and events
• Create, adapt, and implement an annual calendar of events, multi-channel solicitation campaigns, recognition, and benefits; coordinate with Membership to increase AMPAC visibility in AMA publications
• Develop messaging and copy for print and electronic communications aligned with AMPAC’s mission and political agenda to drive donors’ financial support; coordinate messaging with other AMA communications
• Plan events including vendors and travel to in-state events; maintain contacts among Washington, DC political organizations, associations and corporate community to arrange and promote fundraising events for Members of Congress and other federal candidates
May include other responsibilities as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s degree minimum; equivalent experience/ education accepted
2. 7+ years of experience working with political action committees or equivalent experience in political fundraising or membership programs; experience with organizations with affiliated entities
3. Experience in federal or state political campaigns, direct marketing, and advertising or association membership programs: emphasis on major donor programs and fundraising events is essential; Capitol Hill and Washington, DC experience preferred
4. Demonstrated written and oral communications skills required, including political fundraising and promotional materials
5. Extensive experience working with direct mail, marketing, and donor data vendors and contractors
6. Skilled at managing multiple priorities and meeting tight deadlines
7. Strong computer and data management skills required, including database, mail-merge and budgetary programs and proficiency with PAC software
8. Strong knowledge of FEC requirements, campaign finance and election laws for association PACs
9. Willingness to travel up to 10%
The AMA offers competitive salaries, including an incentive plan and excellent benefits. Our office is a business casual environment and we respect work-life balance. The American Medical Association is located near Union Station and the Capitol in Washington D.C.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. As an EOE/AA employer, the American Medical Association will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and veteran or disability status.
THE AMA IS COMMITTED TO IMPROVING THE HEALTH OF THE NATION
Job posted: 2020-06-29