Manager, Advocacy Communications
The Manager of Advocacy Communications supports the association’s advocacy efforts and enhances DISCUS’ external profile through strategic public affairs, media relations, writing, content production and issue management.
Manage DISCUS’ advocacy communications and media relations with a primary focus on state and local media outlets; provide communications support for federal advocacy efforts and outreach to national and trade media. Manage media outreach efforts to include securing print, radio, broadcast and digital coverage for DISCUS and key spokespeople
· Draft messaging and communications to advance strategic goals including press releases, talking points, speeches, thought leadership pieces, background briefings, blogs, letters to the editor, social media content, etc.
· Manage media lists and establish and maintain relationships with targeted reporters
· Manage interview requests and press inquiries; pitch policy-trend stories to state, Capitol Hill and national media.
· Share media monitoring with current staff and membership
· Monitor current and emerging issues with emphasis on issue management
· Track media results; provide analysis on emerging trends at the state and local level
· Join weekly state government relations team calls as well as communications team meetings
· Support broader organizational goals, including support for DISCUS events, and other duties as assigned
· Minimum of 5 years of experience in a communications position, preferably in policy/advocacy communications
· Proven track record of media relations results including established media contacts
· Excellent writing skills with ability to write well under tight deadlines with quick turnarounds
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
· Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations, or relevant field
· Command of social media
· Intellectual curiosity, specifically relating to the media
· Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills
· Ability to multitask and manage several projects simultaneously in a constantly changing environment and handle unplanned situations
· High level of integrity, dependable, good judgment, and detail-oriented
· Ability to work well independently and as part of a team
· Capability to travel when necessary
The Distilled Spirits Council of the United States is the leading voice for distilled spirits in the United States and serves as the industry’s advocate across the nation.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-05-15