Manager – Advocacy and Strategic Alliances (Health Equity Initiatives)
Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Manager for its Advocacy and Strategic Alliance (ASA) team to support the Federal team within ASA with relationship development, stakeholder outreach, briefings and event support, and reporting.
The Manager will report directly to the Senior Director for Advocacy and Strategic Alliances and will also support work on selected programs and initiatives addressing health equity and addressing the needs of minority, multicultural, and other communities which experience health disparities. The Manager will support the implementation of strategies that impact the biopharmaceutical industry’s commitment to addressing equity while advancing the public policy debate through work with third party allies.
Specifically, the Manager will:
• Support the Federal team within ASA by assisting with stakeholder education programming to drive a better understanding of the pharmaceutical industry’s policy positions and issues. Identify areas of opportunity and execute department strategies to advance industry health equity and diversity priorities at the federal and state levels.
• Support the department in tracking of content generation across priority areas and reporting of key metrics and ASA team accomplishments to PhRMA’s leadership through, Power Point, Excel, and other programs.
• Align closely with other departments, including attending inter-departmental meetings and reporting back to the team, understanding advocacy & equity goals and objectives, and responding promptly to requests.
• Work with the Senior Director to manage and support events for the ASA team including cross-functional coordination, drafting presentations and invitations, vetting approvals, coordination with meetings and IT staff and other related activities.
• Lead large and small group meetings, give presentations on industry value and its diversity, equity and inclusion efforts, and develop long and short-term strategies and plans.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a collaborative, proactive, self-starter who is passionate about contributing to the healthcare challenges we face today. This is a visible position and is both internally and externally facing. Key success factors for this role include strong organization, collaboration and execution skills, a team focus, as well as an understanding of the challenges and opportunities to address social determinants of health. The preferred candidate will be skilled in event planning and working under tight deadlines. Candidate should be adaptable, agile, able to prioritize and shift gears quickly, comfortable in a high-pressure environment and be politically savvy, diplomatic, responsive and professionally mature.
Professional Experience/ Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree; public policy, political science, public affairs, public health or related field preferred
• 1-2 years of experience; political campaign, coalition development, public affairs and/or media relations experience preferred
• Basic understanding of the legislative process
• Basic understanding of federal health care programs (including Medicare and Medicaid)
• Experience working in dynamic, high paced environment
• Strong Microsoft Office skills, e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Excel
• Strong organizational and communication skills
• Available to work after hours and on weekends
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested nearly $1 trillion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $83 billion in 2019 alone.
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary and bonus program, various opportunities for reward and recognition and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, a wellbeing program, back-up care, health advocate service, employee assistance program and commuting benefits. We also offer a robust 401k plan with employer contributions upon the first day of hire and immediate vesting, a generous paid time off plan, seven paid holidays (plus inauguration day), half day Fridays preceding holidays and a paid winter break.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities including an integrated on-boarding program, best-in-class leadership programming, tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, and other management/professional development programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities, fundraising drives and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
As the trade association for several leading biopharmaceutical companies, our workforce and culture should reflect the makeup of our clients and the benefactors of our efforts – patients. We at PhRMA are committed to building a culture where diverse people, ideas, and experiences are welcomed, included, and celebrated; where our employees can thrive as they bring their best authentic selves to work every day. PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-05