Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager/Associate Director/Director of Government Affairs
About the job
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms.
As Ginkgo continues to grow, we are growing our Government Affairs team and seek a creative, passionate, and collaborative individual who is excited to help policymakers reimagine and realize a future built with biology.
We are looking for a Manager/Associate Director/Director of Government Affairs who will bring thoughtful and creative approaches to engaging U.S. federal, state, and local government. As the Manager/Associate Director/Director of Government Affairs, you will help lead and innovate the way we engage and collaborate with the government on technology policy, defense, health, environment, agriculture, and other subjects. You will help build and maintain relationships across the federal government and engage public sector stakeholders to demonstrate Ginkgo’s values, grow awareness of synthetic biology, and help realize the benefits of biotechnology to solve big problems. You will work to advance legislative and policy priorities that benefit the field of synthetic biology, Ginkgo, and the general public.
Please note: This role requires the ability to travel around the Washington, D.C. area several days a week.
- Coordinate government affairs strategy and activities, including to align with overall company strategy and priorities
- Advocate for government utilization of and support for synthetic biology, bio-derived solutions, and the bioeconomy overall
- Manage and grow relationships with federal and state governments
- Track and help shape relevant legislation and drive shift towards investment in and adoption of synthetic biology
- Identify and pursue opportunities for thought leadership
- Manage external lobbyists and other key partnerships
- Expertise in defense, health, environment, or agriculture government spending or rulemaking
- Job title will be based on your experience/years of experience/education
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Enthusiasm for synthetic biology
- Based in or willing to relocate to Washington, D.C.
Preferred Capabilities And Experience
- At a Director level at least 10+ years work experience, including in government affairs at a high-impact company and in the federal government (e.g., either on the Hill or in the Executive Branch).
- Experience in driving adoption of novel technologies by government agencies.
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
What is it really like to take your company public via a SPAC? One Boston biotech shares its journey (Fortune)
Ginkgo Bioworks resizes the definition of going big in biotech, raising $2.5B in a record SPAC deal that weighs in with a whopping $15B-plus valuation (Endpoints News)
Ginkgo Bioworks Redirects Its Biotech Platform to Coronavirus (Wall Street Journal)
Ginkgo Raises $70 Million to Tackle Covid-19 Testing (Bloomberg)
Ginkgo Bioworks to Build Infrastructure for Rapid Epidemic Response (PR Newswire)
How to Test Every American for COVID-19, Every Day (The Atlantic)
The Life Factory: Synthetic Organisms From This $1.4 Billion Startup Will Revolutionize Manufacturing (Forbes)
The engineering of living organisms could soon start changing everything (The Economist)
Synthetic Bio Pioneer Ginkgo Raises $290 Million in New Funding (Bloomberg)
Ginkgo Bioworks raises $350 million fund for biotech spinouts (Reuters)
Ginkgo Bioworks Is Turning Human Cells into On-Demand Factories (WIRED)
Can This Company Convince You to Love GMOs? (The Atlantic)
We also feel that it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry, and that needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. Our culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with people from all walks of life.
We’re developing a powerful biological engineering platform, so we must remain mindful of the many ways our technology can – and will – impact people around the world. We care about how our platform is used, and having a diverse team to build it gives us the best chance that it’s something we’ll be proud of as it continues to grow. Therefore, it’s critical that we incorporate the diverse voices and visions of all those who play a role in the future of biology.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.
Job posted: 2022-04-28