Manager, AWS Emerging Tech Policy
Work hard and make history with Amazon Web Services (AWS) Public Policy as a member of our growing Americas team. The Washington, DC- based Manager, AWS Emerging Tech Policy – US Federal, will be able to immediately and directly enhance AWS’s advocacy at the US Federal level in support of our cloud computing business. The Manager role will work on issues related to emerging tech business and services, to include quantum, edge computing, machine learning, and other emerging technology issues. Like our business interests, our policy issues are broad, forward-thinking, and driven by what is best for our customers.
The Manager, AWS Emerging Tech Policy – U.S. Federal will be a highly visible position that will create, execute, and manage key public policy issues focused on policy issues affecting our commercial and government customers. Working closely with the Technology Services teams, the AWS World Wide Commercial and Public Sector businesses, our Regional Services team, and other internal stakeholder and business partners, this position will manage and represent Amazon/AWS positions on emerging tech policy to US Federal policymakers, regulators, and other federal government decision-makers.
Based on the AWS US Federal Public Policy team, the Manager role will work collaboratively and transparently with the AWS public policy, marketing, legal and public relations teams and the associated business units to ensure alignment between business priorities and public policy goals. This position will develop and execute a US Federal emerging tech policy strategy designed to allow AWS customers to leverage the full suite of AWS services and capabilities, and to create a favorable regulatory environment that keeps pace with technology development.
Focus and Deliverables:
· Work collaboratively with AWS public policy, marketing and public relations teams and the associated business units to ensure alignment between business priorities and public policy goals.
· Anticipate challenges/obstacles our business could face as the emerging tech policy landscape evolves.
· Ensure space policymaker and decision maker awareness of AWS’s business model. Effect change and drive policymaking that benefits our customers.
· Develop overall emerging tech policy strategy.
· Coordinate to ensure alignment between AWS Public Policy objectives with other Amazon corporate emerging tech policy objectives.
· Ensure appropriate deployment of outside consultants, if appropriate.
Domestic travel will be required.
The position is based in Washington, DC.
· Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred.
· 5+ years of experience in public policy and advocacy and using spoken and written rhetoric to persuade and inform.
· 5+ years of experience dealing with emerging tech policy landscape and processes in the US, and within the technology industry.
· Strong program management and organizational skills.
· Candidates will be able to demonstrate their experience through previous work within government, companies, consultancies, trade associations, or equivalent organizations.
· Highly effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills; demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at all corporate and political levels. Ability to create factual, relevant and easily understandable talking points and other messaging, and able to persuasively deliver it to relevant audiences. Ability to deliver a point intelligently, concisely, and in a friendly way.
· Expert knowledge of all facets of the US emerging tech policy landscape.
· Develop/Maintain strong relationships with key policymakers that influence emerging tech policy.
· Maintain highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity, with strongest professional reputation in the industry.
· Self-starter who can take general direction and produce specific results.
· Ability to identify and understand key technical aspect pertaining to corporate operation in the emerging tech space, understand business implications, and synthesize policy documents for internal and external customers. Think critically, process data from multiple sources, forecast potential scenarios, prioritize based on probability and desired outcome, and recommend a best course of action.
· Expert ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others. Flexible and able to demonstrate strong judgment/decision-making skills, and political acumen. Exhibits agility and confidence in evolving situations and is able to swiftly transition from topic to topic. Able to intelligently build a course of action, analyze trade-offs, and make recommendations even in ambiguous situations.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-08-20