Manager, AWS Public Policy – Federal Affairs
Work hard and make history with Amazon Web Services (AWS) Public Policy. The Manager, AWS Federal Affairs & Public Policy will join a growing, dynamic team and be able to immediately and directly enhance Amazon’s advocacy at the US federal level in support of our cloud computing business. Like our business interests, our policy issues are broad, forward-thinking, and driven by what is best for our customers.
The Manager will be a highly visible position that will create, execute, and manage key public policy issues as a lobbyist focused in the US Federal space. Working with the Senior Manager, AWS Public Policy – US Federal, and the AWS World Wide Public Sector US Federal business and other internal stakeholder and business partners, the Manager will represent Amazon/AWS positions on key issues to Congress and the Administration.
The Manager will work collaboratively and transparently with business units to ensure alignment between business priorities and public policy goals. The Manager will manage AWS US Federal Congressional relationships, develop Congressional outreach and communication strategies, and manage and coordinate political advocacy strategies.
The position is based in Washington, DC.
Focus and Deliverables:
· Work collaboratively and transparently with the US Federal AWS Public Policy team and within the Legal team to ensure alignment between core business priorities and public policy goals.
· Anticipate challenges/obstacles our business could face as the public policy landscape evolves.
· Ensure policymaker awareness of AWS’ business model. Effect change and drive policymaking that benefits our customers. Manage and coordinate AWS advocacy efforts to Congress.
· Coordinate AWS Public Policy objectives with broader Amazon policy objections.
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
· Exhibits excellent judgment
· Hires great people. Develops great people.
· Has relentlessly high standards
· Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution
· Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
· Thinks big and has convictions
· Bias for action and results oriented
· Is highly analytical and structured
· Has the ability to inspire passion in others
· An expert understanding of the legislative and regulatory policy process and the technology industry.
· Expert skills in advocacy and using spoken and written rhetoric to persuade and inform.
· Strong program management and organizational skills.
· Candidates will be able to demonstrate their experience through previous work within Congress, companies, consultancies, trade associations, the government, or equivalent organizations.
· Some travel may be required.
The successful candidate will meet the following qualifications:
· Highly effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills; demonstrated ability to effectively and comfortably interact at all corporate and political levels. Ability to create factual, relevant and easily understandable talking points and other messaging, and able to persuasively deliver it to relevant audiences. Ability to deliver a point intelligently, concisely, and in a friendly way.
· Develop/Maintain strong Congressional relationships with key Members, and personal/professional staff members.
· Maintain highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity, with strongest professional reputation in the industry.
· Self-starter who can take general direction and produce specific results.
· Ability to identify and understand key technical aspect pertaining to corporate operation in legislative and regulatory proposal, understand business implications, and synthesize policy documents for internal and external customers. Think critically, process data from multiple sources, forecast potential scenarios, prioritize based on probability and desired outcome, and recommend a best course of action.
· Expert ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others. Flexible and able to demonstrate strong judgment/decision-making skills, and political acumen. Exhibits agility and confidence in evolving situations and is able to swiftly transition from topic to topic. Able to intelligently build a course of action, analyze trade-offs, and make recommendations even in ambiguous situations.
· Can manage a diverse workload, while managing a fast paced and highly effective team of consultants in driving objectives.
Educational Requirements: Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s preferred.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-07-26