Manager, Child Safety, Government Affairs and Public Policy
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience working with government, think tanks, public interest groups, technology industry groups, or corporations on problems related to consumer protection/technology policy concerns.
- Experience managing cross-functional projects.
- Experience working with international teams and a variety of stakeholders executing strategies to deliver solutions.
- Knowledge of online child safety policy, and experience advocating for policies that help keep children and vulnerable users safe online, while preserving the rights of children to access information and participate online.
- Ability to collaborate with multiple teams simultaneously, with experience executing cross-functional projects.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing environment.
- Excellent leadership, political, analytical, and communication skills with solid attention to detail.
About the job
As a member of GAPP team, you’ll be part of a diverse global government affairs team, working across regions, product areas, and functions. You’ll combine creativity and intellectual excellence with the organizational skills to manage various campaigns, projects and initiatives. In this role, you’ll advocate for Google to bring external perspectives back into the company to inform our perception and direction. You’re passionate about the opportunity to shape the future of how we use and build technology for everyone.
In this role, you will be part of a global government affairs team, working across regions, product areas, and functions. You’ll bring your experience in child safety to help provide regulatory oversight and help keep on top of developments on key issues such as the prevention of child sexual abuse and exploitation, content safety, and children’s privacy. You will work with product colleagues to help anticipate regulatory demands and respond to legal requirements.
You will represent Google’s child safety agenda externally, working closely with leading non-governmental organizations globally and representing Google at conferences and events, ensuring Google’s agenda for keeping children safe is well understood, and positively received.
You will also work to promote the safety of other vulnerable users, and shape the external agenda and our policies in relation to topics such as non-consensual sexual images and harmful content such as suicide and self-harm, and bullying and harassment.
Google takes its responsibilities seriously, including engaging with government and other stakeholders on important public policy challenges. The Government Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP) team leads the company’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators and third-parties in the formation of public policy. Working closely with Google leaders, GAPP seeks to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the company’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders. While we focus on challenges affecting the internet, our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where public policy, business, and technology intersect.
- Develop collateral and other resources to support global teams as they engage with regulators and policy makers, trade associations, industry partners, and nonprofits on issues relating to online child safety.
- Lead work directly on novel files globally that explore aspects of child safety online.
- Represent Google directly in engagement with policymakers, industry players, key opinion formers, and nonprofits to ensure Google’s strategy on online safety is understood and maintains its reputation as a safe and trusted brand.
- Work cross-functionally with internal stakeholders to ensure that emerging issues and trends are clearly understood, and that steps are taken to address them.
- Develop and execute policy strategy benefiting Google’s users under 18, our business, and the wider web; work cross-functionally to develop child safety policy positions for review by Google’s Policy, Legal, and Management teams.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-12