Manager, Communication – Media Relations
Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples’ lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.
We are a national, nonprofit organization and the nation’s leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, our mission is to feed America’s hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
Contributes to the success of Feeding America’s proactive communication strategies, including fostering engagement and publicizing issues relating to hunger in America as part of the organization’s national media relations strategy, in coordination with network food banks across the country. Manages media monitoring activities and produces media reports for the organization. Participates in all aspects of Feeding America’s external relations efforts, including communicating directly with press.
- Supports the Director, Communications – Media Relations, with media outreach for the organization’s national consumer media strategy, from story ideation to media placement.
- Manages media monitoring and analysis, including the creation of reports related to Feeding America campaigns as well as monthly media coverage.
- Develops briefing materials for subject matter experts for media interviews and other related activities.
- Drafts and edits communication materials including press releases, media pitches, editorial pieces, media statements, topline messages, issue backgrounders, fact sheets, speeches/presentations, social media content and other communication materials for various targeted audiences.
- Collaborates with teammates, government relations team, and network member communicators on consumer or mass media story development, local advocacy strategies and issues management, as needed.
- Works with Director, Communications and VP, Communications to identify topics of interest and/or provide supporting research for keynote, panel and session speakers at major association, education, government meetings and issue-oriented conferences.
- Mission Focused – Demonstrates a commitment to Feeding America’s mission through word and action. Is committed to keeping people facing hunger at the center of our work and strives to translate this commitment into action on a daily basis. Willing to advocate for people facing hunger and serve as an ambassador for Feeding America inside and outside of work.
- Embraces Equity, Diversity and Inclusion – Demonstrates a personal commitment to valuing different backgrounds and life experiences through word and action. Takes personal actions to build an inclusive culture that ensures everyone can fully contribute based on their unique talents, skills and perspectives and feels welcomed and valued. Commits to driving equitable solutions to address root cause issues by incorporating an equity framework in their daily work. Committed to continuous personal EDI development.
Required Leadership Competencies
- Communicates Effectively: Effectively communicates project and operating priorities to key stakeholder audiences that may include staff, network food bank members, donors and other audiences. Adjusts message and content based on feedback provided. Communicates clearly and effectively through verbal and written communication across individual, small group and formal presentation settings.
- Leverages Functional Expertise: Leverages advanced functional knowledge to shape decisions and plans. Uses professional experience to fix processes and make improvements to practices, policies, and procedures. Tracks latest practices and innovations and ways these could improve processes within the organization.
- Collaborates Internally & Externally: Actively supports collaboration within and between departments and with key stakeholders. Seeks input and resolves issues with a focus on mission and what’s best for the people we serve.
- Manages for Results/Delegates Effectively: Sets clear goals focused on measurable results and holds self and others accountable for delivering against agreed upon goals. Maintains high standards for self and others and provides supportive coaching and direct feedback.
- Translates Strategy to Operational Goals: Translates project goals into SMART team and/or individual goals consistent with overall department strategy. Defines clear project deliverables and monitors and reports against progress.
Required Technical Competencies, Experience, Certifications & Education
- Three plus years media relations experience in a major human service organization, public relations firm, government role or major corporation.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, knowledge of AP Style, specifically for interacting with the media, donors, the general public, network members, community groups and senior management, and as evidenced by a strong track record of placed stories, op-ed columns, features, etc.
- Proven ability to manage media interviews for senior executives, including television, radio, print and online media.
- Strong news sense and proficiency in the use of media clipping services (Meltwater), PR Newswire, and emerging trends.
- Personal leadership skills and the ability to as part of a team and independently; strong project management skills and a customer-service focus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
Feeding America embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain, and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential.
Learn more here
ENTER JOB DESCRIPTION HERE
Job posted: 2021-04-09