Summary of the Opportunity
The Financial Services Forum seeks a manager for its communications team. The manager oversees the Forum’s rapid response work, helps develop written content and assists with media relations. Strong written and oral communication skills, a strategic mindset, an interest in banking policy, and a desire to be a flexible, positive team player are all “musts.”
The Financial Services Forum is an economic policy and advocacy organization whose members are the chief executive officers of the eight largest and most diversified financial institutions headquartered in the United States. Forum member institutions are a leading source of lending and investment in the United States and serve millions of consumers, businesses, investors, and communities throughout the country. The Forum promotes policies that support savings and investment, deep and liquid capital markets, a competitive global marketplace, and a sound financial system.
The Communications Manager:
- Leads rapid response for the Forum, maintaining a database of relevant issues with potential responses, including draft statements and social content and supporting data, information and statements
- Works with the Forum team to decide when and how to respond and oversees execution
- Oversees regular Forum newsletter(s), working with members to develop engaging content
- Drafts written content, including press releases, information for one-pagers, fact sheets, etc.
- Assists associate, serving as backup on social media and website work
- Monitors member firms’ work to promote value of their individual businesses in the economy and society and thinks creatively of how to leverage and magnify that work
- Oversees regular data collection efforts from member firms to best promote the positive impact of the Forum member firms
- Maintains a depository accessible to Forum employees of comments by regulators, legislators, members of the administration, third-party validators and others of comments related to Forum objectives
- Keeps the depository up-to-date by collecting quotes from hearings, speeches, public events, interviews, written work, etc.
- Conducts research into key issues as needed to support communications work
- Tracks third parties, staying abreast of their work and any public statements and assists Forum employees in planning ways to engage and track engagement
- Helps review content for grammar, accuracy and tone
- Keeps up-to-date on public relations trends and developments
- When needed, leads message testing efforts, including focus groups and other research in collaboration with outside vendors
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of experience in public relations, working at either a firm, association, on political campaigns, in the government or in the private sector. Strong candidates will have experience in rapid response and in the production of a variety of written products targeted to a range of audiences.
Other requirements include strong written and oral communication skills and attention to detail. Candidates should be able to juggle multiple assignments at a time and move quickly when needed while also possessing a knack for thinking strategically and creatively about the medium and long term. Some experience in media relations as well as social media and website publishing desired.
Interest in politics and banking required. While not expected to know the ins and outs of banking policy, candidates need to be interested in learning to fully support the Forum team and members.
This position reports to the Chief Communications Officer. The incumbent will not be responsible for managing other staff.
Salary and Benefits
The Forum will offer a competitive package of compensation to the successful candidate. Benefits include, but are not limited to, health insurance, FSA and HSA, 401(k) with employer contribution, transportation subsidy, and paid time off.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Persons with mental or physical disabilities as defined by the Americans With Disabilities Act are eligible for this position if they can perform the essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodations are made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible for this position.
The Financial Services Forum provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals. We do not discriminate based on race, color, genetic information, religion, creed, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), age, marital status, citizenship status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, disability, matriculation, political affiliation of any individual, or any other category protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
The above-referenced job description is a guideline designed to present an overview of the position and is not intended to be a comprehensive list of responsibilities and requirements.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Job posted: 2021-02-10