Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
American Humane seeks an ambitious, experienced Manager, Communications to work collaboratively to develop and execute strategic earned media plans and to serve as the primary person for pitching and securing broadcast and print media. This position is a hybrid of remote and office-based work based at American Humane’s national headquarters in Washington, DC. The Manager, Communications will report to the SVP of Communications & Legislative Affairs. American Humane is committed to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace. As we seek to fill this position, we highly encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
For more than 100 years American Humane has been first in promoting the welfare and safety of animals and strengthening the bond between animals and people. We are first to serve, wherever animals are in need of rescue, shelter, protection or security. Through our innovative leadership initiatives – from our “No Animals Were Harmed®” program in Hollywood to broad-based farm and conservation animal welfare certifications, to rapid response rescue and care across the country – American Humane sets the gold standard as the most visionary and effective animal welfare organization in the nation.
The Manager, Communications is responsible for promoting the mission and work of American Humane and is an integral member of the Communications department reporting to the SVP of Communications & Legislative Affairs. The Manager will work collaboratively to develop and execute a proactive, strategic earned media plan for the organization and work with all communications team members to maximize communications opportunities. The Manager will pitch and secure national and regional broadcast feature pieces and print media, including long-lead feature pieces. They will take a lead role in supporting programs and working with development team members to design communications materials, including ads, invitations, programs, etc.
- Pitch human interest and business stories to members of the press (i.e. reporters, television network producers, etc.) on an ongoing basis.
- Develop and cultivate strategic relationships with national and long-lead media, including traditional and new media (television, print, online, podcasts, etc.).
- Serve as an on-site media liaison for AH centered press appearances, including: AH events with press attendance (e.g. congressional briefings, fundraising events such as the Hero Dog Awards, etc.); in-studio television appearances; press conferences; and on-location interviews, among others as assigned.
- Write and distribute press releases, as well as public statements; keep up-to-date distribution lists for press releases and announcements.
- Deploy to national disasters, reunifications, special events to gather material and, as directed, serve as a spokesperson.
- Provide additional media and writing support for American Humane, including fundraising and development efforts.
- Identify trends in media coverage for campaigns and various subjects as needed.
- Develop and implement media strategies in collaboration with the Communications team as well as executive and programmatic leadership.
- As needed, prepare leadership and spokespeople for media interviews, which includes preparing materials, reviewing expectations and conducting training as needed.
- Respond to and follow-up on media inquiries in collaboration with SVP, Communications & Legislative Affairs.
- Collaborate with programs and departments, such as Development and Military Affairs, to maximize exposure, outreach and opportunities.
Essential experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Ideal candidate will have at 8-10 years of experience with demonstrable earned media history.
- Must be a team player and strategic, creative thinker who is hands on.
- Must be able to handle multiple projects at any given time.
- Strong communication skills with proven ability to present, write and edit, and to do so in a clear, concise, well-organized and well-articulated manner.
- Ability to change voice and writing style to fit a particular audience and purpose.
- Self-disciplined, entrepreneurial, action-oriented style that thrives in a fast-paced, dead-line driven, high-stress environment.
- Demonstrates strong work ethic.
- Ability to produce high-quality work on deadline and under pressure.
- Ability to think proactively, take initiative and see tasks through to completion with appropriate follow-up.
- Sound judgment and discretion in handling and securing confidential information, as well as the ability to conduct oneself in a highly professional manner.
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to establish and implement systems and identify resources to ensure the successful completion of projects. Ability to create and maintain files, recording systems and communication protocols.
- Flexibility to work as part of a team or independently and across departments to meet goals in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Teams, Word, Excel and PowerPoint with ability to learn new technologies.
Physical demands and work environment:
- Position will be a hybrid of in-office and remote-telework based out of the Washington, DC headquarters office location with regular telework schedule based on organizational policy, need and manager discretion. Must be DC-based, no exceptions.
- Must be o.k. being around animals, especially dogs, in the office and at events and other functions.
- Travel required, potentially up to 25%.
- Occasional need for hours beyond regular office hours, including some evening and weekend work.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee will regularly be required to:
- Sit or stand for extended periods,
- Look at and work off of a computer screen for extended periods, and
- Talk, hear and exchange information over the telephone, virtually and in-person.
American Humane’s core values define our workplace, and these values serve as the cornerstone for interactions in advancing our mission and institutional goals. Employees are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane’s core values:
Compassion – Being kind and caring in our interactions with others.
Accountability – Holding ourselves to the highest standards. Following through on commitments and owning our actions, behavior, and decisions.
Respect for All – Being professional, listening to others and honoring diversity in all its forms.
Loyalty to Mission – Staying focused on our purpose and our mission – our nation’s most vulnerable depend on us.
Sustainability – Contributing to being a great place to work and achieving our shared mission and goals to make a difference, now and in the future.
Honesty, Integrity, Trust – Demonstrating transparency, as trusted stewards of donor resources, supporting our leadership and one another.
American Humane (AH) is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to fostering and growing diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and the humane space.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-01-10