Manager, Communications and Advocacy
The Home Depot Government Relations Office is looking to immediately hire a Manager, Communications and Advocacy. The ideal candidate will be a professional communicator, highly motivated, and experienced with brand protection and creativity in developing communications and grassroots advocacy campaigns that deliver results. Must have 3-5 years of experience working for a political, campaign, or legislative communications office, or corporate or trade association government relations or similar public affairs office. Experience developing digital and social media campaigns and with DDC or another grassroots database a plus.
The Manager, Communications and Advocacy will be accountable for both internal and external communications related to the company’s efforts to favorably impact public policy issues and enhance our reputation with policy makers and government stakeholders.
This position reports to the Senior Manager, Political Programs and supports the issue advocacy needs of both the federal and state government relations teams. In addition, in partnership with the PAC Manager, the Manager, Communications and Advocacy helps with the content and editorial calendar for PAC communications such as the weekly newsletter, annual report, and education materials.
The role will also be a strategic partner to the Senior Manager, Political Programs with grassroots and issue advocacy program planning and execution.
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Develop and implement a strategic advocacy messaging plan in support of Government Relations’ priority public policy issues in coordination with federal and state government relations teams.
- Create collateral material and content to tell The Home Depot story as it relates to the advocacy strategy to include position papers, talking points, presentations, digital content, video, and social media.
- Lead Home Depot’s signature grassroots program, the Congressional Store Walk program, inviting elected officials to visit Home Depot stores and distribution centers.
- Organize grassroots campaigns to activate associates and other company supporters to engage with elected officials on legislative issues important to The Home Depot at the federal, state, and local level.
- Work to advance the department’s communications strategy by managing social media engagement and crafting compelling digital and written communications
- Help Home Depot employees “Make Their OrangeVoice Heard” through our award-winning grassroots website, OrangeVoice.com.
- Constantly be improving our grassroots tools and outreach.
NATURE AND SCOPE
- This position reports to the Sr. Manager, Political Programs.
- This position has no direct reports.
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
- Typically requires overnight travel 5% to 20% of the time.
- Must be eighteen years of age or older.
- Must pass the Drug Test.
- Must pass Background Check.
- Must pass pre-employment test if applicable.
- The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor’s degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 3 years
- Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- 3-5 years’ experience working as a press secretary, communications director, for a PAC, or in government relations
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Passion for advocacy and communications as drivers of policy success and employee engagement
- Proficiency with DDC or another grassroots database
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-05-06