Manager, Communications and Community Relations
WHO WE ARE
SUEZ in North America operates across all 50 states and Canada with 6,700 employees dedicated to environmental sustainability and smart and sustainable resource management. The company provides drinking water, wastewater and waste collection service to 6.4 million people on a daily basis; treats over 600 million gallons of water and over 450 million gallons of wastewater each day; delivers water treatment and advanced network solutions to 16,000 industrial and municipal sites; processes 55,000 tons of waste for recycling; and rehabilitates and maintains water assets for more than 4,000 municipal and industrial customers. The company is a subsidiary of Paris-based SUEZ.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
· Bachelor’s degree in communications, English, journalism, public relations or equivalent is required. Master’s degree preferred.
Work Experience Needed:
· Total work experience of 5+ years in communications and/or public relations. Working knowledge of the water services or utility industry, a strong plus. Sound communications experience and skills, including professional and creative writing, media relations, internal and external stakeholder communications, community relations, public speaking, etc. required.
Special Skills/Abilities Needed:
· Development of comprehensive Customer First communications external and internal programs that support local, national and global business objectives and initiatives.
· Exceptional writing and speaking skills with the ability to construct compelling stories that promote the company’s objectives, brand and its employees.
· Data analysis skills with the ability to identify trends (particularly customer feedback) and facilitate action plans.
· Strong relationship-building skills with customers, employees, elected officials, regulators, journalists, and other key stakeholders.
· Thorough knowledge of traditional and digital communications and advertising, social media strategy and tactics, and visual and web content.
· Knowledge of communication technologies including web, e-mail, print, graphics and AV production.
· Demonstrated success in event planning and promotion.
· Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
· Ability to work with and engage management and employees of all levels.
· Ability to deliver targeted results to specification at cost and on schedule.
· Good balance of technical/task and people/team leadership skills and orientation.
· Excellent negotiating, networking, and interpersonal skills.
· Ability to effectively manage external agencies and vendors.
· Intermediate working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
· Must be available for weekend and evening activities, as needed.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Nature & Scope-Principal Areas of Responsibilities:
The SUEZ North America Communications Department is responsible for helping shape and execute communications strategy for the company, advance key priorities and strategy to broad and diverse audiences, and connect these priorities to national, state and local conversations. The department also manages the daily operation of the SUEZ’ central communications channels, including the website and social media accounts, guides the company’s media engagement, and provides strategic communications counsel.
The Manager, Communications and Community Relations helps develops and implements strategic, comprehensive and professional communications and community programs that educate customers, community groups, employees and other stakeholders about the SUEZ brand and company objectives.
· Develops and implements Customer First communications, community relations and external and internal stakeholder plans with strong emphasis on local projects and initiatives and national and global objectives.
· Writes local communications, including strategic plans, articles, press releases, speeches/presentations, etc.
· Supports communications performance targets and goals established by Corporate Communications and the local business unit.
· Manages local website, social media and digital networks, providing consistently fresh and relevant content.
· Manages the Communications budgets of local territory.
· Other activities as deemed appropriate.
Key Focus Areas:
Customer First Communications
· Develop communications that seek to increase satisfaction, brand perception and support a Customer First organization.
· Satisfy customer preferences by applying an omni-channeled approach that includes a variety of digital and traditional communications channels.
· Create and execute communications programs for targeted stakeholder segments, including informational sessions, stakeholder dialogues and customer advisory groups.
· Under the direction of the Vice President, Utility Communications and in collaboration with communications directors/managers across the division, contribute to the development of company-wide strategic communications plans and programs.
· Monitors, collects and analyzes customer data, including the identification of trending / emerging issues, including but not limited to customer advisory panels, stakeholder dialogues, client research, social media, customer web behavior, focus groups, surveys and customer service centers. Incorporate learnings with the aim of creating Customer First solutions.
· Develop rich and meaningful internal communications that promote projects, champion change, foster employee pride, and inspire commitment to company goals.
· Celebrate employees and their contributions through various company platforms and activities (award programs, newsletters, social media, storytelling, participation in company activities, e.g.)
· Accountability for and oversight of the local company’s Corporate Social Responsibility Programs (community and civic functions).
· Foster an inclusive external culture by building and maintaining relationships with local community NGOs and other influential stakeholders and incorporating their input where appropriate.
· Develop community programs that further educate stakeholders on company initiatives, the water industry and the SUEZ brand, including school programs, facility tours and community events.
· Manage local company’s charitable giving program and ensure alignment with corporate goals and policy.
· Develop compelling stories and generate leads that cultivate journalists’ interest in the SUEZ brand. Convert meaningful conversations to earned placement.
· Develop social media and digital content that champions the brand and supports local business strategies and goals.
· Develop articles and pitch stories beyond local media reach to include industry and trade publications and national media where appropriate.
Other Key Stakeholders
· Develop and maintain strong working relationships with influential community and civic organizations and elected and municipal officials.
· Keep external stakeholders informed of company practices, business decisions, and programs which impact customers and the community. Build stakeholder loyalty and satisfaction by responding with urgency to requests and concerns.
· Maintain a comprehensive understanding of state and local current affairs issues. Be the lead contact between strategic external stakeholders and company operations.
· Act with expedience to develop and implement customer communications during emergencies. Command the use of multiple tactics and channels, accounting for customer preferences.
· Act as communications adviser for local leadership and foster communications best practice.
· Provide support for other business operations as may be needed.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-30