Manager, Communications and Creative Services
Work for one of the world’s most innovative and creative multidisciplinary research institutions engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is looking for an experienced Communications and Creative Services Manager.
The Communications and Creative Services Manager is responsible for the leadership, management, oversight, and strategic direction of the Communication Arts and Services group (CPA-CAS), which provides the Laboratory with writing and editing, graphic design, electronic publishing, institutional forms, displays and exhibits, branding, and marketing services. The CPA-CAS Group Leader is responsible for developing a strategic direction that encompasses long- and short-term goals, developing group capabilities, and maximizing efficiency of the group’s operations all in the service of supporting the Division’s strategic and institutional communications and outreach priorities.
What you’ll do:
Reporting to the Communications and Public Affairs Division Director, the Manager:
- Works closely with the Division Director, Deputy Division Director, fellow Group Leaders and, as appropriate, the Laboratory Director’s Office to ensure sustained and coordinated focus on the Laboratory’s communications priorities
- Provides leadership for the group, ensuring high performance, organizational standards and morale, and clearly defined goals and objectives
- Ensures that customer work requests are accurately estimated and that sound project management techniques are applied to ensure timely delivery of quality products
- Defines employee roles, responsibilities, accountability, authority, and methods for measuring and rewarding performance as well as addressing employee performance which falls short of the mark
- Manages resources, budget, and long-term planning and implementation
- Builds strong business relationships with internal and external customers
- Ensures effective compliance with all applicable policies, procedures, regulations, and statutes
- Maintains a safety- and security-conscious work environment
What we’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree preferred) in Communications, English, technical writing, graphic design or technical illustration, or other relevant discipline and a minimum five years of related management experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of the communications industry, including experience working as a communications professional
- Proven excellence in leadership, management, and supervisory skills, as demonstrated by positive examples, actions, and practices, preferably in the field of communications
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in successfully guiding the strategic direction of an organization toward the effective use of improved technologies and processes
- Demonstrated good business practices and effective project management skills (e.g., project planning and scheduling, consensus building, motivation, financial management, conflict resolution, and customer interaction)
- Strong and proven ability to understand customer requirements and to provide consistent, high-quality customer service, always striving to meet deadlines and to improve product quality, customer service, and customer satisfaction
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills; ability to communicate in a proactive manner that leads to positive results
Preferred skills with experience:
- Experience working in a communications capacity for a complex scientific and/or government research and development facility
- Broad working knowledge of the Laboratory mission, organizations, programs, scientific capabilities, policies and procedures, and key personnel
- Experience or knowledge of the Laboratory’s or other similar organization’s recharge system
Notes to applicants:
- This position will close on Friday, February 14th at 5:00 PM. If you are interested in the positon, please apply prior to the deadline.
- To be formally considered for this position, you must attach a detailed cover letter along with your résumé.
- Apply at lanl.jobs, and search for IRC78282
- Clearance: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter.
- Eligibility requirements: To obtain a clearance, an individual must be at least 18 years of age; U.S. citizenship is required except in very limited circumstances. See DOE Order 472.2 for additional information.
Where you’ll work:
Located in northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. LANL enhances national security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile, developing technologies to reduce threats from weapons of mass destruction, and solving problems related to energy, environment, infrastructure, health, and global security concerns.
The Communications and Public Affairs (CPA) Division represents and promotes the Laboratory to a range of stakeholders, including employees, neighboring communities, the press and the public as well as the national scientific community. Our mission is to promote understanding of the Laboratory and build relationships with employees and stakeholders to advance LANL as the premier national security science laboratory. CPA comprises three offices: the Communications Office (CO), the Community Partnerships Office (CPO), and Communication Arts and Services (CAS).
The Communication Arts and Services group (CPA-CAS) provides multidisciplinary, full-service institutional communications support for organizations, programs and senior officials at the Laboratory. Our experts in writing and editing and graphic arts create compelling and effective communication products for customers across the Laboratory and their external customers and stakeholders.
Apply at lanl.jobs, search for IRC78282 Communication Arts and Services Group Leader
Job posted: 2020-01-29