Manager, Communications and Government Affairs
Manager, Communications and Government Affairs
ND Paper, a leading paper product manufacturer in the US with approx. $1 billion annual sales, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nine Dragons Paper (Holdings) Limited, the largest containerboard producer in China and Asia, with $10 billion annual sales. We are an environmentally-friendly company that manufactures various types of high-quality pulp, paper and paper-based packaging materials. Our mills in Rumford, Maine and Biron Wisconsin are integrated paper & pulp facilities, and our mill in Fairmont, West Virginia is one of only three in the world that produces air-dried, recycled pulp. Our fourth mill in Old Town, ME produces softwood kraft pulp. We are proud of our 1400 dedicated employees, who together produce more than 1.2 million short tons of pulp & paper annually.
We are looking to hire top talent to join our dynamic team! ND Paper offers full benefits and a competitive compensation. We are currently seeking an experienced Communications Manager to join our team.
This position reports to the Vice President Government Affairs and Corporate Initiatives and may be based in either Oakbrook Terrace, IL or Dayton, OH., Or any of our mill locations.
The Manager, Communications and Government Affairs is a vital role for ND Paper, leading companywide communication initiatives and government relation activities. This position drives routine design, creation, and distribution of key internal and external communications, as well as provides guidance that ensures alignment of corporate strategic messaging in all communication at the corporate and division level. The Manager is responsible to maintain the integrity of the ND Paper brand across multiple communication platforms, both internal and external to the company. In addition, the role interacts with other functional areas, including Sales and Marketing and Human Resources, to provide materials that support their key initiatives. Lastly, the Manager will participate in a variety of government affairs duties, from legislative monitoring to participation in trade groups. The ideal candidate will be well-versed in multiple communication platforms, including print, video, web, and social media; experience with design tools is also desirable. Prior experience in or with state or federal government is highly desirable. This position reports to the Vice President – Government Affairs and Corporate Initiatives.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrate safety as a core value and establish a safe work environment by actively leading the safe execution of work
- Lead communication strategy across the company and ensure both internal and external messaging is consistent with ND Paper standards
- Generate and distribute useful and timely informational content to the ND Paper employee population on a routine basis
- Generate and distribute external press releases as required; serve as the primary contact to respond to media inquiries
- Collaborate with other functional areas, including Sales and Marketing and Human Resources, to create and distribute materials in support of key initiatives
- Generate and distribute relevant content to the ND Paper internet, intranet, and social media platforms; monitor and respond to feedback
- Develop meaningful relationships on behalf of ND Paper with local, state, and federal government contacts
- Monitor pending local, state and federal legislation that may impact ND Paper operations
- Engage in trade associations, industry groups, and government initiatives to represent ND Paper’s interests
- Perform other duties as required
Attributes for Success
- Hard work – tackle each task with determination, passion and creativity; the willingness to put in whatever effort is required to successfully complete the job at hand
- Pursuit of Excellence – strive to consistently exceed expectations in our day-to-day work and outperform our competitors in the marketplace, regarding work and company achievements as a collaborative goal with the desire to go above and beyond
- Integrity – treat the company and teammates with upmost respect, operating on strong moral codes to drive company values and culture
- Sense of Urgency – drive forward each day with speed, agility, and flexibility to capture unrealized opportunities and avoid potential risks for the business
- Entrepreneurial Spirit – act like an owner, challenging the status quo, asking the right questions, and actively seeking ways to innovate and improve
- Adaptability – be fluid with ND Paper’s continuous evolution while driving change in a fast-paced environment, equipped with the ability to acclimate quickly.
- Servant Leadership – set an example by implementing meaningful leadership with heart, empathy, foresight and stewardship.
Typical Skills and Experience:
Undergraduate studies in communications, journalism, marketing or related field
- Eight or more years of related experience in leading corporate communications, developing and executing complex communication projects, editing and writing, and communications coaching
- Five or more years of experience working with elected officials and/or agencies in local, state, or federal government
- Proven competency in print, video, web, and social media production processes
- Experience in advertising, public relations, or sales & marketing communication concepts is preferred
- Familiarity with the paper industry preferred
- Must have the ability to analyze business requirements and to plan, develop, field, and evaluate impact of creative and effective communication programs that satisfy the needs of internal and external audiences.
- Must possess high-level verbal and written communication skills necessary to make recommendations to senior leaders on communication planning and to manage development of internal/external communications materials for project teams.
- Must demonstrate exceptional attention to fine details, yet complete multiple projects typically subject to deadlines.
- Must be personable and enthusiastic, with an ability to forge strong working relationships across multiple levels of internal and external organizations.
- Must be able to influence or guide parties that are not direct reports.
- Must demonstrate integrity, maturity and constructive approaches to challenges.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-26